Tapa Variations Contest V

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
yureklis

Tapa Variations Contest V

Post by yureklis » Sat 25 Dec, 2010 1:26 pm

Our "Tapa Variations" contest series are going to continue. The contests will last four weeks, one small contest each week, in February 2011. Contests will be held on saturdays as usual, on OAPC site, and will last 75 minutes. There will be winners of every week, and at the end of the month there will be a Tapa variations winner, determined with the sum of points earned in all four weeks. Winner of 2010 was Nikola Zivanovic from Serbia.

We would be pleased to receive any ideas on possible Tapa variations. If you have such ideas, please inform us so we can prepare puzzles of those types as well.

TVC V will be held at 5th of February 2011, 16:00 GMT.
http://www.wpc2009.org/forum/index.php

Serkan Yurekli: yureklis(at)gmail.com
Gulce Ozkutuk Yurekli: gulceozkutuk(at)gmail.com

yureklis

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Post by yureklis » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 1:33 pm

Contest has moved! Check LMI page for details: http://logicmastersindia.com/forum/foru ... asp?fid=41

Mephisto

Post by Mephisto » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 2:06 pm

"Check LMI page for details: http://logicmastersindia.com/forum/foru ... asp?fid=41"
->
"This section of the BBS is restricted to specific user accounts. Please return to the BBS."

yureklis

Post by yureklis » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 2:49 pm

Mephisto wrote: "This section of the BBS is restricted to specific user accounts. Please return to the BBS."
Yes this section would not be open to public until I make the announcements, now waiting for the admins to make the thread visible :)

debmohanty

Post by debmohanty » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 5:32 pm

yureklis wrote:
Mephisto wrote: "This section of the BBS is restricted to specific user accounts. Please return to the BBS."
Yes this section would not be open to public until I make the announcements, now waiting for the admins to make the thread visible :)
The section is now open to all.

yureklis

Post by yureklis » Sat 29 Jan, 2011 4:32 pm

Instruction Booklet of TVC V has been published at http://logicmastersindia.com/TVC/V/

If you have any question, please use TVC Forum at LMI

debmohanty

Post by debmohanty » Sat 05 Feb, 2011 1:15 am

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sat 05 Feb, 2011 9:14 pm

Loads of fun, except for world's most annoying typo when entering a solution.

Otherwise, I would have beaten Hideaki!!!

Mustn't grumble, but still...

yureklis

Post by yureklis » Sat 05 Feb, 2011 9:24 pm

drsteve wrote:Loads of fun, except for world's most annoying typo when entering a solution.

:) Yes you are right about Hideaki :) I am watching almost everyone's performance during the contest, and really, it is so fun. I watched your performance too. I said myself, wooovv! You were really really good in the test. And of course as you said you lost most valuable points because of tiny little typo mistake. But anyway you were great!

Best,

Serkan

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sat 05 Feb, 2011 10:17 pm

yureklis wrote:
drsteve wrote:Loads of fun, except for world's most annoying typo when entering a solution.

:) Yes you are right about Hideaki :) I am watching almost everyone's performance during the contest, and really, it is so fun. I watched your performance too. I said myself, wooovv! You were really really good in the test. And of course as you said you lost most valuable points because of tiny little typo mistake. But anyway you were great!

Best,

Serkan
Thanks for the kind words, Serkan. Looking forward to the next rounds.

Steve

sf2l

Post by sf2l » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 1:22 am

really a great score Steve, well done

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 6:52 am

sf2l wrote:really a great score Steve, well done
Thanks, Stefano, but as is always the way, it could have been better without a typo on Possible A and a careless mistake right at the end of Filler. That's my first top ten, though, so pleased with it regardless.

Quite a low entry from the UK though - quite a lot of familiar names missing. Is that an aversion to Tapa or a lack of time to do the competitions in?

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 9:26 am

Steve,

That was a great performance by you. Many congratulations. These were true WPC standard puzzles. Tapa is not a puzzle type I am good at, but I don't think there were any easy points to be had here. Sorry you lost some points which would have placed you even higher.

David McNeill.

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 12:51 pm

drsteve wrote:
sf2l wrote:really a great score Steve, well done
Thanks, Stefano, but as is always the way, it could have been better without a typo on Possible A and a careless mistake right at the end of Filler. That's my first top ten, though, so pleased with it regardless.

Quite a low entry from the UK though - quite a lot of familiar names missing. Is that an aversion to Tapa or a lack of time to do the competitions in?
Lack of time here, I also missed out on the sudokcup, starting the test with 5 minutes before the thing closed. Still managed to get one answer out to not totally embarass myself :roll:

Edit: I've now had a go at this, and am tentatively claiming 512 points. I thought I'd have struggled more than that with Tapa, but there were definitely some nice puzzles. The pick for me was Tapa star - after hitting a (metaphorical ;) ) wall I decided to go play Doppelstern with it, and to my great surprise found that I could fill in all the stars. With the extra wall information that gave me the puzzle quickly fell.

Great performance from Steve, and Thomas once again appears to be on another planet. Although I can kinda see what he means with the intuitive nature the way these puzzles go - e.g. the word Tapa I thought were very quick points.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 4:22 pm

Time here too. I struggled to find the 90 minutes for Puzzle Fountain. I'd worked through most of the examples for TVC5, and felt I'd have been able to have a good crack at most. Shame. Perhaps these contests should last a week rather than a weekend?

yureklis

Post by yureklis » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 5:01 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:... Perhaps these contests should last a week rather than a weekend?
Interesting idea! Actually i like that. Maybe weekend online contest can last from friday to monday. I am surprised of not giving a thought about it until now! Interesting...

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 11:57 pm

Agreed - I often work weekends and don't have time to play Sat/Sun. Sometimes I am ready to play late on Sunday but there is not enough time to fit it in.

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:46 am

Yes, I'd enter far more contests if you could play during the week. Weekends are usually not practical.