Trinity College Cambridge online puzzle hunt next week

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
dickoon

Trinity College Cambridge online puzzle hunt next week

Post by dickoon » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 10:36 pm

People from the mathematics and science societies at Trinity College, Cambridge, are launching an online puzzle hunt next week. For those to whom this means something, it very much seems to be in the SUMS/MUMS/mezzacotta style. Expect it to include cultural puzzles, but I'd be surprised if there weren't logic puzzles in there as well. Prizes for teams of up to five, but also, unusually, for solo solvers! You can find out more at https://cph.soc.srcf.net/ if this is of interest.

I'm hoping that this can also go the other way and that people who play in that puzzle hunt can go on to try out for the UK championships, somewhere down the line!

detuned

Re: Trinity College Cambridge online puzzle hunt next week

Post by detuned » Thu 19 Jan, 2017 10:49 pm

Looks interesting.

If it's anything like SUMS/MUMS/CISRA then I won't have time to fully commit, but I'd happy to pitch in during the evenings. If we do have a UKPA presence then it would be good to do a write up on the forums or a blog or something to draw people in.

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Mon 23 Jan, 2017 12:54 am

Interesting.

Magoo

Post by Magoo » Wed 01 Feb, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks for posting, Chris.

Had a go with a couple of chums from DASH and it was fun. Some of the puzzles (basically one each day) were extremely hard. And the hints pretty random about whether they were helpful. I'd love to know whether the four teams that finished ahead of us were sweating it out together in a Trinity College attic as we started imagining, while we gave what time we could to individual thinking and emailing each other.

If you know of any more events, do post again.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Wed 01 Feb, 2017 6:08 pm

The best way to keep up with such things is the Puzzle Hunt Calendar. Second best way would be my blog, but if you're only going to follow one, go for the calendar. :)

Now we have an emergent puzzle community in Cambridge, of course, we need to find ways to introduce them to other puzzle activities; hopefully there are many more very highly talented Cantabrigians who would be great for the UKPA but just don't yet know about us...!

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks for the link to their calendar Chris - we've now got the UKPA Open Tournament listed.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sun 19 Feb, 2017 12:29 am

Magoo wrote:If you know of any more events, do post again.
Just found out about Galactic Puzzle Hunt 2017 in a similar style from March 14th to 23rd. The hint system is different - notably, you'll get to ask yes/no questions for the hints you want, rather than for canned hints - and the tone of the rubric (and the reputation of the setters, at one remove) means that this is something worth looking forward to.