Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions

Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday

Postby dickoon » Mon 24 Aug, 2015 7:09 pm

At last, a sequel to the long-running Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London next Friday thread!

The 19th Mind Sports Olympiad is holding an Olympiad Championship in sudoku and kenken solving. They've held similar events for each of the last four years and normally UKPA members do very well at them.; see, for instance, Mark G.'s blog over the years for more details. This year, there's £140 in prize money up for grabs in the competition.

This year's Olympiad will take place at the JW3 cultural centre in north-west London, the same location as that of last year; according to the timetable, the puzzle event will take place at 10:15am on Sunday morning.
dickoon

Re: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday

Postby dickoon » Sun 30 Aug, 2015 8:56 pm

Who among us attended, please, and how was the event?
dickoon

Postby DavidC » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 8:55 am

Neil and I were there - Mark was due to attend but didn't appear (not even part way through !) : Mark, hope you're OK. Around a dozen people (including some MSO regulars). 8 kenken and 8 sudoku. Single session of three and a half hours (actually slightly less because of a late start). Sunday rather than Friday for a change. Tony Corfe warned us they had asked for harder puzzles this year : Neil handed in first ... just after the five minute warning was given ! Another player had just one sudoku left to complete. I had the three largest kenken left. We're still waiting for the official result to be posted.

David
DavidC

Postby Nilz » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 4:25 pm

Yes, as David said, I attended for the first time, due to it not being a workday, and being held less than an hour from my flat, so I had no good reason not to. I stayed around for the results, so I can confirm that I won, fortunately no mistakes so a perfect score. Didn't recognise the other two names on the podium- not yours, I'm afraid David. And no Mark either, though he was expected to arrive by the organisers, so I hope everything's OK.
The puzzles were tough. Can't compare them to previous years since I didn't attend, but I'd be surprised if Mark could've completed them in an hour or so as he apparently did last year! I solved the 8 KenKen in about 75/ 80 mins. Puzzles ranging from 6*6 to 9*9, including a few large multiplication cages, which was fun. These were a good challenged, I got them all logically. Then 8 sudokus, and I took almost the entire rest of the time, so just over 2 hours. Can't say I really enjoyed these as much, had to trial-and-error at least half of them. But overall, I'm glad I went, obviously nice to get a medal, though I've not heard anything yet about any prize money...
Nilz

Postby DavidC » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 5:23 pm

Congratulations to Neil, Matthew and Andrew. Thanks to them I now have the full set of Gold, Silver, Bronze and ... er ... unplaced :-) Previously Matthew won Silver in 2014, and Andrew won Bronze in 2013 and Silver in 2011. The winners since 2011 have been Rodders, me, Mark, Mark and Neil.

KenKen and Sudoku
G Neil Zussman
S Matthew Hatthrell
B Andrew Robertshaw

http://www.msoworld.com/results/2015-results/

David
DavidC

Postby Magoo » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 11:13 am

I'm fine. My wife deemed we were staying in the country at the weekend, and I was taking my youngest to a theme park on Sunday. Hmm. Well done Neil, and all.
Magoo

Postby Nilz » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 10:01 am

This event is taking part again in a couple of weeks, on the 28th (Sunday of the Bank Holiday weekend). I'll be there!
http://www.msoworld.com/events/kenken-and-sudoku/
Nilz

Postby DavidC » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 12:52 pm

Congratulations to Neil on winning the Kenken and Sudoku contest for the second year running. This continues the UKPA sequence of winners since 2011 : Rodders, me, Mark, Mark, Neil and Neil.

G Neil Zussman
S David Collison
B Alain Dekker

http://www.msoworld.com/2016-medal-table/
DavidC

Postby detuned » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 4:40 pm

Well done Neil. Sadly even if I'd remembered this I wasn't able to come down on the Sunday. How many people turned up?
detuned

Postby DavidC » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:13 pm

Eleven I think. Neil and I were there from UKPA but there was no sign of Mark or Rodders. Obviously a few of the MSO regulars were there (including Alain, who came third).
DavidC

Postby Nilz » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 7:03 pm

Well done on your second place, David. You'll now be aiming for Gold, Bronze and unplaced in some order in the next 3 years, I assume, to complete the double set? ;)

Puzzles were considerably easier than last year, in my experience at least. I hope they keep running this on Sunday rather than Friday for a while longer!
Nilz

Postby DavidC » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 11:00 pm

Thanks. Absolutely - the symmetry would be far more pleasing than a lop-sided straight run of golds :-)

I have mixed feelings about the Sunday : it's normally OK for me, but it does disrupt the Bank Holiday weekend.

Friday could always be a pain because of clashes with meetings at work, but I found it was amusing to turn up in a suit amongst the casually-dressed middle-aged perpetual students for just this single MSO session before putting on my tie as I headed back to work :-)

David
DavidC

Postby dickoon » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 8:20 am

It's (just about) that time of year again. The Sunday in question is not tomorrow, but the MSO's traditional sudoku and KenKen tournament takes place on the morning of Sunday 27th August. Details, as in previous years, are available on the MSO web site.
dickoon

Return to Puzzle Competitions