The Times Sudoku Championship 2015

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
detuned

The Times Sudoku Championship 2015

Post by detuned » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 9:41 pm

I've been tipped off the qualifying puzzles are in the newspaper this week. Unfortunately that just leaves tomorrow (Friday) if you haven't already seen this, but perhaps it's also possible to get a hold of an old copy of the paper.

Cooky

Re: The Times Sudoku Championship 2015

Post by Cooky » Fri 05 Jun, 2015 9:27 am

Don't panic Tom, its next week

DavidC

Post by DavidC » Tue 08 Sep, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi. A warning to anyone attending on Saturday to check their post. Tonight I came home to find a letter postmarked yesterday with First Class scribbled by hand on the front. Last year I was a grand finalist and quite a few weeks ago I replied to the letter inviting me to take up my place.

This year there are two separate qualifying sessions with each contributing four contestants for the grand final. The good news is that I can have a bit of a lie in on Saturday. Also, hopefully Mark, Tom and others will already be at lunch after battling it out during the morning session when I saunter in !

Anyway, it's worth noting that it is a different format and different contact details this year, and if you want to bring a guest you have to notify them by end of tomorrow. Maybe the rest of you were sorted out ages ago and Tony has only just noticed (post-MSO) that my name was missing, or maybe it's a more general last minute panic.

I look forward to seeing some of you on Saturday.

PS : just a reminder that it's at London Bridge this year (in the shadow of the Shard) rather than at Wapping.

PPS : why on earth do I sabotage my own chances by being such a nice thoughtful person ?!

David

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 7:10 pm

No idea how they've made the split (maybe alphabetical order?) - but I know that myself, Mark G and George D are all in the afternoon session. I think the preliminaries are going to be more stressful than the final!

DavidC

Post by DavidC » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 10:57 pm

Agreed (well, certainly for me, especially now !). Unfortunately our own Z isn't attending so cannot help to validate your theory, although the other two Eger Colls might be able to help !

Magoo

Post by Magoo » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 1:54 pm

The Times have just emailed asking me to switch to the morning session ...

nedwalker

Post by nedwalker » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 10:01 am

Thanks for the info on here - my letter had gone to a different address but I have managed to find out it's contents and I am also in the afternoon session. Will certainly be a more stressful preliminary than previous years!

DavidC

Post by DavidC » Sat 12 Sep, 2015 5:25 pm

Congratulations to Tom on winning this afternoon and to Mark on coming second after both had won their respective heats. Great to catch up with them, Heather, Mike, Ned and several other familiar faces.

David

Magoo

Post by Magoo » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 10:13 am

Yes well done, Tom. I felt the formbook was followed apart from Heather's problem with one of the puzzles in the preliminary. Congrats to David and Mike for making the final. There was a surprising amount of errors made in the final - some years there are next to none, in others there are few all-correct finishes. Presumably just to do with difficulty - I hope The Times publish the puzzles tomorrow, but given that the reporter seemed to be a teenager, I'm not convinced the event's getting priority coverage. Amongst this year's organising difficulties: one competitor requested a second script in the preliminary, and completed one of his puzzles on one script and the others on another; the markers only took one of the scripts and marked him as only having completed one puzzle. On appeal it turned out he would have qualified for the final, and he was given a desk in the hall and started (and finished) four minutes after everyone else.

GoldingH

Post by GoldingH » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 6:23 pm

Echoing enormous congrats to Tom, also to David, Mike and Mark for making the final (and kicking myself for not...!). Personally, though, I enjoyed the day and highly recommend it. Also doing the final on the train on the way home was pretty good.
I now have Sudoku grids in my head...

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 10:40 pm

Thanks all - great as ever to see folk there and I'm pleasantly surprised to not have made a mistake! I was definitely feeling the pressure in the final and made a couple of mistakes, but I wasn't waiting to hang around to hand in with Mark especially in good form - I think in previous years I'd have been a bit more careful. I guess in a format when any 1 from 8 can win, it does pay to take a chance or two and that's maybe why we see so many mistakes.

I'm not holding out too much hope for the Times coverage: the reporter rang up this morning wanting extra details to develop an "angle" for the story. I struggled to contain my laughter when he asked whether there was anything interesting about me!

I'll try and do a proper championship write up for my blog later this week

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 1:22 am

detuned wrote:I'm not holding out too much hope for the Times coverage: the reporter rang up this morning wanting extra details to develop an "angle" for the story. I struggled to contain my laughter when he asked whether there was anything interesting about me!
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/puzzles/a ... 555880.ece

No angle at all...

"Some early-morning sudoku would not be everyone’s answer to shaking off a hangover."

"The 29-year-old, who took up sudoku to take his mind off hangovers as a student"

"Unlike the scholarly discipline of other contestants, he admitted to having two pints of Deuchars IPA and a Guinness the night before the contest."

"He would bat away the puzzles while recovering from student hangovers."

“It didn’t cure it [hangovers], but it certainly helped pass the time,” he said.

Ironically, you could read the article and play a drinking game with the word "hangover"...

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 7:42 am

Could have been worse! I did talk about plenty of stuff, not least the ukpa and all our hard work last year, but it seems our intrepid journalist sees the world through rather juvenile eyes. :roll:

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 7:59 pm