[SOTR] Sudoku Excavation

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
tamz29

[SOTR] Sudoku Excavation

Post by tamz29 » Wed 04 Feb, 2015 12:14 am

Hello UKPA,
I would like to invite all keen sudoku solvers to "Sudoku Excavation".
Briefly, there are 15 sudoku puzzles to solve and you use their answers to dig a field for fossil pieces.

When you have collected all the pieces, they combine to make one final puzzle.
Solve that final puzzle to be in a draw for (UKPA's own) Gareth Moore's "Mammoth Book of New Sudoku".*

You can find more details along with PDFs for marking your progress at https://roygbivpuzzles.wordpress.com/ab ... xcavation/
Contest closes in a little under 2 weeks from now.
There's a shortage of online contests at LMI recently, so I hope you might give this a try.
Thanks!

*I didn't know it before, but Prasanna told me that all WPC-goers last year received a copy of the said book.
If the eventual winner already has copy, maybe we can sort something out later.

Magoo

Re: [SOTR] Sudoku Excavation

Post by Magoo » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 1:05 pm

I would like to recommend this excavation - it's a good series of puzzles leading to a nice mixed denouement. Thanks to tamz29 for creating and hosting it. I certainly didn't get Gareth's book at the last WPC - though could that be because I didn't stay for the WPC after the WSC? I doubt it.

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 5:28 pm

Magoo wrote:I would like to recommend this excavation - it's a good series of puzzles leading to a nice mixed denouement. Thanks to tamz29 for creating and hosting it. I certainly didn't get Gareth's book at the last WPC - though could that be because I didn't stay for the WPC after the WSC? I doubt it.
You're right there about the book at the WPC/WSC - they were delivered part way through the week,

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 7:06 pm

Yes, the book arrived mid-week as Liane says so I put one on every seat for the final WPC gala dinner.

This is the one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mammoth-Book-Ne ... 472100220/

It's one of my favourite books - 495 puzzles with nearly 150 different Sudoku variants (25 major variants).