World Puzzle Championship 2010 - the results thread.

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
nickdeller

World Puzzle Championship 2010 - the results thread.

Post by nickdeller » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 9:26 am

1st round results up already, and those of a nervous disposition should look away now... what looks like a fantastic performance by Andrey Bogdanov, but a horrible 19 minutes for some... :o

http://wpc2010.com/results

Put it to one side, move on, do some more puzzles, think about it later!!!

detuned

Re: World Puzzle Championship 2010 - the results thread.

Post by detuned » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 9:48 am

Woah - looks like Palmer (MellowMelon) has hit the ground running on his WPC debut! He might even be a dark horse for the title if he carries that sort of form up...

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 9:59 am

I'm very impressed that the results are being published to the Web while the contest is in progress. Is this a first? (Also, the average UK team member is doing better than Niels Roest. That's bloody good.)

I also (entirely nosily) wonder why there are four Canadian solvers but no exclusively Canadian team, which seems an extremely strange omission.

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 10:10 am

Until yesterday there were only 3 Canadians - it may be that somebody has been mislabelled or somebody has joined the United Nations of Canada?

The first three rounds were a pretty horrible experience for me, I almost bombed out on the third round as well.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 11:09 am

Yikes :o Looks like everyone found that harder than expected!
Looking on the bright side, at least no-one ended up negative!
I'm sure we'll hear more about that later. Put it behind you and move on...

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 4:58 pm

More positives - Half the team are in the top half at the moment, which really isn't bad at all !!
Niels getting a 'Roest'-ing is very indicative of the level of the difficulty of this particular contest, so well done guys - keep the spirits up!

nickdeller

Post by nickdeller » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 5:05 pm

REALLY bad news, however, when you scroll down to the bottom of the page and the team results. Rock bottom on the Sym-a-Pix. :-(

I'm really looking forward to seeing these puzzles sometime in the next couple of weeks, I'm expecting hours of painful enjoyment out of them. And that's just the first round...

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 6:05 pm

We did fine on the sym-a-pix but we couldn't separate the stickers fast enough to put on it at the end - we had solved the majority of it. They were post-its cropped to the sticky bit. So a timing problem, not a solving one! :)

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm having a lot of fun following the results as they come out. Seems like it's a 3 way battle between Thomas, Ulrich and Hideaki (hardly a surprise really). I suspect the team title will be a battle between their respective countries so far.

has anyone had a chance to speak with any of them, or at least assess who seems to be in the most inhuman shape? I suppose Ulrich has the advantage of previous form, but I can imagine both Thomas and Hideaki will both be very hungry to register a first win!

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 7:25 pm

I see we had a top 10 finish on the treasure hunt! Pity it wasn't worth more points...

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 7:43 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:I see we had a top 10 finish on the treasure hunt! Pity it wasn't worth more points...
They scaled the points down and removed the bonuses - probably didn't want the health and safety issues !

Another small victory for the team - in the Weakest Link, Simon got the team table before the first German got to theirs. Very nicely done.

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Thu 28 Oct, 2010 4:34 am

Certain teams didn't take the Treasure Hunt round very seriously, and the scores reflected that nicely. You will notice that the Poland Junior team did particularly well ;) Nonetheless I thought this was a good round for us, and certainly the most cohesive of the team rounds this year.

Have we got back the solution sheet for the Sym-a-Pix? I'm keen to know how much we actually solved correctly - Simon and I worked on an interesting large region that we didn't have time to sticker up.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Thu 28 Oct, 2010 5:27 am

ronaldx wrote:Certain teams didn't take the Treasure Hunt round very seriously, and the scores reflected that nicely. You will notice that the Poland Junior team did particularly well ;) Nonetheless I thought this was a good round for us, and certainly the most cohesive of the team rounds this year.

Have we got back the solution sheet for the Sym-a-Pix? I'm keen to know how much we actually solved correctly - Simon and I worked on an interesting large region that we didn't have time to sticker up.
Sorry - found that this morning with the Anaconda - all but five squares in the whole thing were right.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Thu 28 Oct, 2010 7:29 am

Just to let you all know, they've cancelled the spherical operations round - not for my objewction, but someone was given a non- symmetric ball. Good news for the UK team as I think we lose less points than other teams.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Thu 28 Oct, 2010 1:45 pm

We have a new world champion - Taro Arimitsu. Ulrich second, Hideaki third.