UKPA Puzzle Championship 2014

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
puzzlemad

Re: UKPA Puzzle Championship 2014

Post by puzzlemad »

PuzzleScot wrote:
kiwijam wrote:"Loops at a Spool" (a cute name)
A pat on the back for anyone who spotted it was a palindrome!
And Gabriele says that the original Italian name is "Ingegni" meaning ingenious.
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

Well done everyone. That was a fantastic result there James.
I've made a big note to myself for next year regarding the answer keys for the loops.
Thanks James for the walk throughs regarding the pharmacy and the Pentominos. I had solved them both logically myself (whether I could remember exactly what I did now though I'm not sure).

As James said, Nikola ran out of puzzles that he hadn't authored well within the time so would have been pushing James for top spot. Also though both Prasanna Seshadri and Salih Alan ran out of puzzles that they'd not authored too.
furudo.erika

Post by furudo.erika »

A fine set of puzzles. Gemini Loop and Kurotto were my favourites. Thanks to all involved in creating and running the contest.
NikolaZ

Post by NikolaZ »

Congratulation James, fantastic performance!

Interesting thoughts about the last puzzle. You described openings in the right way. Maybe in this most important solving phase well-known "trial and error" method is the fastest. I might add if you try to paint in black R7C1-R7C2, you will get full 5th and 7th row blackened which stops you to fulfill 8th and 9th column with the given clues. There are few more such moves that lead to quick contraindications.
Nilz

Post by Nilz »

kiwijam wrote:
Nilz wrote:That's a ridiculous winning margin. Congrats James!
Thanks Neil, your similar effort last year inspired me. I only won by 2 minutes, but that's not the margin you're referring to. ;) One day we'll both 'fire' at the same time :)
I might be going crazy, but when I first looked, I'm sure Hideaki had a much lower score, and that you'd won overall by about 60 points/ 20 minutes, rather than 2. So, honestly :!: , I was referring to the overall margin at the top, and not whatever other margin you might think I was referring too. ;-) Congrats whatever the margin!
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

Nilz wrote:
kiwijam wrote:
Nilz wrote:That's a ridiculous winning margin. Congrats James!
Thanks Neil, your similar effort last year inspired me. I only won by 2 minutes, but that's not the margin you're referring to. ;) One day we'll both 'fire' at the same time :)
I might be going crazy, but when I first looked, I'm sure Hideaki had a much lower score, and that you'd won overall by about 60 points/ 20 minutes, rather than 2. So, honestly :!: , I was referring to the overall margin at the top, and not whatever other margin you might think I was referring too. ;-) Congrats whatever the margin!
There was an error calculating Hideaki's bonus originally, hence, his leap up the table.
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

I've calculated and posted a chart of UK Puzzle Championship performances over the past four years. However, before you look, I believe there are seven people who have taken part in the UK Puzzle Championship in each of the last four years. How many of them can you guess in advance?
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

In a similar vein to recent UK Sudoku Championship discussion, for the benefit of those of us who need them: please would it be possible to upload the solutions to the 2014 UKPC as soon as is convenient? Thank you!
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

dickoon wrote:In a similar vein to recent UK Sudoku Championship discussion, for the benefit of those of us who need them: please would it be possible to upload the solutions to the 2014 UKPC as soon as is convenient? Thank you!
I hadn't put a solution booklet together, so will do in the next couple of days.
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

Apologies for the delay, the solution booklet is now available from the competition page.