2014 USPC and USSQ

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
Janix

2014 USPC and USSQ

Post by Janix » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 8:05 am

The dates of this year's US Puzzle Championship http://wpc.puzzles.com/uspc2014/ and US Sudoku Qualifier http://wpc.puzzles.com/ussq2014/ have been announced.

They are May 17 and May 3 respectively, at the traditional start time of 6:00pm BST.

sknight

Re: 2014 USPC and USSQ

Post by sknight » Wed 07 May, 2014 4:11 pm

The results of the Sudoku test are in, and Jason Zuffranieri (Ziti) won again, narrowly edging out Jonathan Rivet.
(They've swapped the title back and forth for the past few years)

I was a bit surprised and disappointed at the low turn-out for this year, though. There were only 83 scores
posted from the USA, and another 34 from other countries (quite a few from Japan and India). That's a bit
less in the US than usual and quite a bit less from elsewhere. I suspect the success of the GP has drawn a
bit of attention from the USSQ, and also that the inflexible time window makes it less attractive.

I hope more people take the USPC, since that's usually a really interesting and well-run test.

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Fri 16 May, 2014 3:25 am

Last year people not competing for the US team were able to enter this competition later in the day (it's not a great time for the Asian third of the world).
I don't see any mention of that option in the rules this year. Anyone know? Did the 2014 USSQ do that?

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sat 17 May, 2014 2:11 pm

Not just a shame for your third of the world, James. To be honest, with it's fixed start time, this has become a low priority for me.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Fri 23 May, 2014 12:31 pm

The USPC results are out! Congratulations to Adam Bissett for finishing top among the UK participants.

I've put together some stats about UK performances in the US Puzzle Championships over the years. Who do you think has finished top among the UK participants most times? Guess first (I reckon the answer is a two-way tie, so I'd be impressed by someone who could guess both halves of the tie...) then find out the answer at my blog. I do write a fair few entries about WPC-ish puzzle contests as well as exit games and puzzle hunts, on the theory that if you're interested in one, you're likely to enjoy learning about the others; hopefully the crossover can be useful for spreading the word in all directions.