DASH6 Puzzle Hunt: April 26th

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
ronald

DASH6 Puzzle Hunt: April 26th

Post by ronald » Sun 02 Feb, 2014 12:12 pm

Save the Date announcement for DASH6 puzzle hunt
which is taking place simultaneously in multiple cities across the USA and also in London, England :)

You'll need to gather a team together for April 26th at 10am. Further details to be confirmed at http://www.playdash.org/DASH6/

DASH (Different Area, Same Hunt) involves solving a variety of creative puzzles hidden in different locations, putting the clues together as you go to solve a metapuzzle.
It's a casual race that's accessible for all-comers: your puzzling time is recorded, but travelling time doesn't count.
Last edited by ronald on Sun 02 Feb, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dickoon

Re: DASH6 Puzzle Hunt: April 26th

Post by dickoon » Sun 02 Feb, 2014 8:02 pm

DASH 5 last year was brilliant; one of the highlights of my year, not just my puzzling year. Obviously things could be different from year to year, but I would give this a very high recommendation. I wrote up my experience of the day, and teammate Iain wrote a two-part pictorial report here and here. Look at past puzzles and judge for yourself, but I think the form has been generally reasonably wordplay-heavy. Fingers crossed that this year's puzzles are at least as good as last year's, and that an even bigger turnout (and chance to promote the UKPA's activities...) might lead it to being an even better social event as well.

Edited to add: the event has a long history in US cities including Los Angeles and Seattle, both of which are not yet represented in the geographical line-up, as well as more recent engagements in Minneapolis and St. Louis that might prove to be short-lived. If you were willing to commit to running DASH in your city, wherever it is in the (at least Anglophone!) world, I'm guessing that it might not be too late to add further cities to the roster.

((Edited a second time to correct BBCode))
Last edited by dickoon on Mon 03 Feb, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 02 Feb, 2014 11:37 pm

I would probably be up for this kind of thing if there is a UKPA team being organised...

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 11:34 pm

Some more information has been posted about the London leg! The citrus-looking logo may likely prove relevant in the fullness of time, but here are the headlines:

* Event starts at 10am UK time on Saturday 26th April. We'll probably finish before San Francisco even starts, so shshshshshhhhhhh once you're done.

* Only 25 teams will be taken, first come first served. Facebook suggests that registration for London opens at 10am UK time on Friday 28th. (I think there were eight London teams last year, but there will be much stronger word of mouth this year. I reckon you should have at least a couple of weeks to register but that there's a good chance that the event will at least come close to filling up.) Starting location TBA; probably zone one, possibly zone two.

* The fee is, as last year, £25 per team of 3-5.

* This year you can choose between three levels of difficulty: "experienced players", "new players" or "kids". The latter is intended for teams of, probably, 10-16 year olds and a non-solving adult chaperone is required per team. This is very cool. I'm going to guess that the existence of the kids' division will probably preclude the puzzles' different locations being licenced premises so BYOB if that's a priority.

* Anticipate the hunt taking 4-7 hours.

* Each team must have at least one smartphone running either iOS 7 or Android. Also bring pens, paper, tape, scissors. Clipboards also recommended. You might also need protection from the elements.

* If you're a Twitter-y type, follow @playdashlondon for more information as it becomes available.

* Alternatively you can playtest the hunt before the 26th and/or volunteer to help on the day.