2014 WPF Sudoku Grand Prix

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

2014 WPF Sudoku Grand Prix

Post by PuzzleScot » Wed 01 Jan, 2014 11:27 pm

Sudoku Round 1 (Turkey) Instruction Booklet available

You can download it here: http://www.gp.worldpuzzle.org/content/i ... on-booklet

The first Turkish round starts on Friday January 17 and ends on Monday January 20, 2014.

This is the version 1 of these instructions, the final point values and possibly some changes in puzzle make-up will be added in a later version.

Any questions related to the puzzles will be discusses and answered in the GP forum

If you are not registerd yet, you can still do so:
http://www.gp.worldpuzzle.org/user/register

Thank you
Sincerely

Hana

--
Hana Koudelkova
World Puzzle Federation Director
http://www.worldpuzzle.org/
http://www.gp.worldpuzzle.org/

detuned

Re: 2014 WPF Sudoku Grand Prix

Post by detuned » Fri 17 Jan, 2014 6:22 pm

Round 1 is now under way!

I felt a bit rusty whilst solving, but I'm a big fan of this format format and think this is a nice set of puzzles well worth 90 minutes of your time!

DavidC

Post by DavidC » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 9:47 pm

The results are now available at http://gp.worldpuzzle.org/content/offic ... p-sudoku-1 - there were 13 UK entrants headed by Mark, David, Tom and Neil.

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 11:08 pm

Many congratulations to Mark for topping the UK list. A chastening experience for me. I found the classic puzzles absolutely horrible (especially puzzle 3). Also lost a lot of time on the Outside, Stars and Renban variations.

Looks like Nikola Zivanovic failed to claim his bonus.

NikolaZ

Post by NikolaZ » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 10:41 am

Yes, I missed that rule :cry: .

Magoo

Post by Magoo » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks David,

Your post is quite chastening for me, as while everything was a nightmare for you, that was almost the perfect experience for me. None of the three puzzles I didn't manage took me less than fifteen minutes when I tried them after the event, and the classics were the smoothest part for me. And we got pretty much the same score. Still I must have made a mistake somewhere so that's something. I'm sure normal service will be resumed in Round 2.

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 4:43 pm

Well done Mark!

Typical that my mistake came on the 79 point puzzle. The classics were definitely tough, probably more so than the variants (although I find most outside puzzles to be fairly workmanlike) which was an interesting twist. It possibly opens the competition up to abuse via online solvers, although I'm sure the organisers will have taken that into account...

Fred76

Post by Fred76 » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:26 pm

NikolaZ wrote:Yes, I missed that rule :cry: .
oops :!:

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sat 15 Feb, 2014 8:52 pm

Round two is taking place this weekend. Get the instruction booklet from our Serbian friends here and go here for the real puzzles. Some particularly intriguing-looking ones!

Magoo

Post by Magoo » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 10:53 am

Surprisingly, no email reminder this week, I think? Luckily I chose this week to check when the next round would be. I really have to diarise this stuff!

Magoo

Post by Magoo » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 8:45 am

Results now up for GP2 at http://gp.worldpuzzle.org/content/offic ... p-sudoku-2. Well done, Tom, with an excellent 510 out of 600 for a top-50 place! A pity that both Neil and David McN were absent - perhaps due to no email reminder - for a good set of puzzles. I was very lucky as: I finished the 66-pointer with 13 seconds to go; I raced to enter the solution and hit Submit; I hit Submit again and got a message saying I was out of time by 8 seconds; the organisers confirmed to me that my solution had got in under the bar. So I must have hit Submit once before the time ran out and once after (though there's no way there was an 8-second gap!). Not really sure what happened but delighted that puzzle counted as it means a difference of 30 places.

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 9:45 pm

I'm glad I managed to go error free this time, but in good practice I really ought to have finished all of it in time.

I also ought to have submitted a dummy answer for the 90 point puzzle - was never going to get that done in 6 minutes I think, but the partial bonus that wrong answer would have given me would have won me a couple of places. I'm surprised the organisers have let this loophole stand - we've done something similar for UK contests but judged it fairest it to give partial bonus to anyone who solved n-1/n correctly. Having a declare button to claim bonus brings up the same sort of problems that were rightly moaned about after Zilina...

Fred76

Post by Fred76 » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 11:50 pm

detuned wrote:I'm glad I managed to go error free this time, but in good practice I really ought to have finished all of it in time.

I also ought to have submitted a dummy answer for the 90 point puzzle - was never going to get that done in 6 minutes I think, but the partial bonus that wrong answer would have given me would have won me a couple of places. I'm surprised the organisers have let this loophole stand - we've done something similar for UK contests but judged it fairest it to give partial bonus to anyone who solved n-1/n correctly. Having a declare button to claim bonus brings up the same sort of problems that were rightly moaned about after Zilina...
The rule says:

Sometimes solvers claiming bonus may make a mistake on a puzzle entry. If, in the opinion of the competition judges, a solver has completed the test with all but 1 puzzle correct, and a typo or small mistake was made on that one puzzle, then that solver will receive 80% of the time bonus credit that they might have earned (8 points per minute). However, the solver will not receive credit for the incorrect puzzle.

I don't think that submit a dummy answer on a puzzle would give you partial bonus, as the answer has to be close to the right answer.

detuned

Post by detuned » Thu 20 Feb, 2014 6:36 pm

Yeah, the small print seems clear - I stand corrected!

motris

Post by motris » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 4:29 pm

Tom: I have allowed some but definitely not all of the answers in an "n-1 correct" situation to get partial bonus. I review each of those wrong submissions individually when a solver claims bonus.

sknight

Post by sknight » Fri 14 Mar, 2014 1:02 am

Bump: the 3rd round of Sudoku competition begins in about 10 hours, as I write this.
This is the Swiss round, with puzzles by Fred Stalder (Fred76).
I always enjoy his Sudoku rounds, personally, so I'm looking forward to it.

Magoo

Post by Magoo » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 6:25 pm

Results for the 3rd round are up now: http://gp.worldpuzzle.org/content/offic ... p-sudoku-3. No UK heavyweights competing sadly. Puzzles not quite as easy as I suspected the experts would have found them - only 6 finished all-correct, but note Kota beating 2nd place (Rishi) by over 10 minutes!

Fred76

Post by Fred76 » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 8:16 pm

Magoo wrote:Puzzles not quite as easy as I suspected the experts would have found them - only 6 finished all-correct, but note Kota beating 2nd place (Rishi) by over 10 minutes!
20 players solved all sudokus without mistake. 2 players also solved all sudoku, but with one mistake.

Yes, Kota was very impressive. Note that Tiit solved all the set in 61 minutes, but forgot to claim bonus, like Nikola in the 1rst round :(

Fred

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 9:36 pm

Fred76 wrote:Yes, Kota was very impressive. Note that Tiit solved all the set in 61 minutes, but forgot to claim bonus, like Nikola in the 1rst round :(
Strikes me that a rule change is required. It really isn't acceptable to let the best solver drop so far on a technicality.
Although in a WSC, you would raise your hand to declare a bonus, that wouldn't be required if you were handing in your answer after each puzzle solved, so the scenarios cannot be compared.

[Edit: I have proposed to Hana, and the rest of the WPF board, that the rule regarding having to claim a bonus is reviewed]

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 8:09 am

I was intending to give this a go on Monday evening, but some food poisoning had other ideas! A pity really as Fred is one of the best Sudoku authors going...