croco-puzzle

Links to puzzle sites all around the web
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Re: croco-puzzle

Post by PuzzleScot » Sat 13 Nov, 2010 12:10 pm

Within 2x uvo's time makes me very happy :)

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Sat 13 Nov, 2010 4:42 pm

Nice one Alan! That's a good time and you've pulled away from the rest of us Brits.

Does anyone know who mars is? We started on the same day but he's too good for me! He overtook Nick D and Chris D recently... I'm getting there but a bit slower ;)

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 14 Nov, 2010 3:50 pm

damned Fehlversuch! ...or I'd pulling further ahead today.

Calavera

Post by Calavera » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 1:56 am

Just a short heads up as the news on the page are in German: Next monday (22th) the applets of the page will be replaced by a new version. As there might be errors at first the results of the whole day won't be taken into account for the rating and will be deleted at midnight.

Calavera

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 2:00 am

Thanks! I saw a good result for you in the Tapa today ;) Any tips?

Calavera

Post by Calavera » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:13 am

ronaldx wrote:Thanks! I saw a good result for you in the Tapa today ;) Any tips?
Didn't felt that fast when I was finished. So I'm quite happy it turned out this way, especially after my goal of reaching 4dan suffered a serious setback the last two weeks ;).
Tips? Well, while it is still running I only tell you this: Clicking really fast can be advantageous :D. More seriously: If there's a point where you can't continue logically (or want to know if you can see something faster) make a screenshot and ask again tomorrow. Then I'll gladly offer my help.

Calavera

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:53 pm

I registered last night, after reading Chris's excellent guide. I was lured into it by the fact the puzzle just before 11pm GMT was a Masyu - a type that I regularly feature near the very top on nikoli.com and I could make a good start on.

Unfortunately by the time I'd signed up and everything it got past 11pm and thus onto a new day CET. Suddenly faced with a tapa - which I had to go fishing the rules out for again (wasn't sure about the 2x2 block rule or not), and then the possibility of what the islands could look like and so on. Then I accidentally clicked on all the buttons to see what they did - and was promptly given a 5 minute time penalty.

then did a few trial and error things to see how the interface worked out. Turned out I could quickly spot the error of my ways, but not so quickly erase the trial and error and get back onto the black square solving. Until I experimented with the button that presumably says reset all blue squares.

Anyhow - upshot of all that was a fairly disastrous time of ~15 mins +5 min penalty, when really I was capable of solving that puzzle in at least half that time. Hopefully I'll get used to all the interfacey bits and storm on up these charts :)

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 9:13 pm

Bleh. Just seen the anonymous puzzle is a day behind and so I had a go at said Masyu. The interface is absolutely godawful compared to nikoli.com (where you can just click and drag the loop as opposed to having to click every individual bloody element of the loop in about 3x the time).

On the other hand my time would have been joint 5th.

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Thu 18 Nov, 2010 3:31 am

Tom: The Preisraetesel provide a useful test-bed for a new puzzle: in general, a puzzle-type will have appeared here in the past.

detuned

Post by detuned » Thu 18 Nov, 2010 11:16 pm

Yeah I've seen Tapa before and know the rough idea. It's just I wasn't 100% on the rules and wasted a little time double checking them.

Good news with the latest puzzle (heyawake). Interface still a bit fiddly compared to nikoli, and I reckon I could've been a little quicker, but I'm currently scoring second, 10s behind Mr Voigt.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 9:45 am

detuned wrote:Good news with the latest puzzle (heyawake). I reckon I could've been a little quicker, but I'm currently scoring second, 10s behind Mr Voigt.
Awesome!

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Fri 19 Nov, 2010 4:33 pm

Dammit, I didn't have time for the Magnets puzzle yesterday - but finished it in 5 mins 15 while chatting to another teacher. That would have put me 60st or so out of 300 :S

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 3:13 pm

New applet today: on my Mac, it doesn't let me press the number keys to input digits
To input digit 9 into the sudoku, I have to click... click... click, click, click, click, click, click, click.

:(

Calavera

Post by Calavera » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 5:51 pm

I'll tell berni to have a look at this thread to also get the bugs of the UK-users.

PS: On my MacBook keyboard-input was possible with todays puzzle...

berni

Post by berni » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 6:43 pm

ronaldx wrote:New applet today: on my Mac, it doesn't let me press the number keys to input digits
To input digit 9 into the sudoku, I have to click... click... click, click, click, click, click, click, click.
Does this only apply to the sudoku or to other puzzles too? It sounds like this focus-problem all java applets have: If the browser thinks, it should use the keystrokes itself, they never reach the applet. You can check this at the start screen using the cursor keys. If this happens, sometimes it is sufficent to open some other window and go back. Else you need to restart the applet.

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 7:28 pm

Berni -
I also first thought it was a Java focus problem, but since I'm clicking on the app it should take the focus - and I've tried to restart the Java, and the browser, and the computer several times.

I notice now what the problem is... when I first open the applet, I can use the keyboard there.
As soon as I click on the puzzle, I can no longer use the keyboard. Then, the number keys and arrow keys have no effect anywhere, they are not focused in the browser either.

I just tried different ways - There is no problem when I use Safari browser, the problem is with Google Chrome on a MacBook.
There is a problem with today's Sudoku (when I am logged in) and yesterday's sudoku too (when I am logged out) and with the Prize puzzles too, e.g. ABC-box.

Thanks for checking here :)

berni

Post by berni » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 7:35 pm

ronaldx wrote:Berni -
I notice now what the problem is... when I first open the applet, I can use the keyboard there.
As soon as I click on the puzzle, I can no longer use the keyboard. Then, the number keys and arrow keys have no effect anywhere, they are not focused in the browser either.
Actually, I've got no idea, what this could be. To me it sounds like a bug in the java runtime environment...

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 9:18 am

137. PuzzleScot 6 min, 53 sek 1 Fehlversuch
138. detuned 7 min, 19 sek 1 Fehlversuch
139. ronaldx 7 min, 21 sek 1 Fehlversuch

Damned Fehlversuch! I wonder if we all missed the same cell?

What is the point of a 5-minute penatly anyway? Somewhat harsh IMHO.

berni

Post by berni » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 9:39 am

PuzzleScot wrote:What is the point of a 5-minute penatly anyway? Somewhat harsh IMHO.
Well, in a normal contest, you would get no points at all. The 5 minutes for the Fehlversuch is sort of a compomise. In the rating system the Fehlversuche are handled more fair (= the median of the times used by all solvers without Fehlversuch).

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:25 am

I bodged the way the shaded cells went round the bottom left. Actually, the whole solve was something of a bodge job after misclicking somewhere without realising it. I'm highly surprised I managed to rescue it even to that extent!

nickdeller

Post by nickdeller » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:26 am

PuzzleScot wrote:137. PuzzleScot 6 min, 53 sek 1 Fehlversuch
138. detuned 7 min, 19 sek 1 Fehlversuch
139. ronaldx 7 min, 21 sek 1 Fehlversuch
172. oenomel 8 min, 3 sek 1 Fehlversuch
Damned Fehlversuch! I wonder if we all missed the same cell?
I compared notes with Ronald after the event and, being as vague as possible, we both treated a particular clue square in the bottom-left quadrant as if it contained a different clue...

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 12:37 pm

Have you guys read the story of the hare and the tortoise?

Some of the times recorded for yesterday's puzzle were ridiculous. I notice that the high score table is not being displayed. Is there a reason for this? The previous day I solved the puzzle in about 16 minutes but my time is not displayed.

I also won a prize. How or for what I don't know. I think I did a Tapa prize puzzle, but I'm not particulalry quick at Tapa. Are previous winners disqualified? But I am now the proud owner of a 10 euro credit.

The Crocopuzzle site is very good, but I am still struggling with the German instructions. Does anybody know why I can't paste the puzzle instructions into an online translator? I don't seem to be able to select the text.

David.

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 2:00 pm

Was mine one of the ridiculous times David 8-) ? I actually recall the Times journalist describing me as a hare to Nina's tortoise after winning their championship in 2009, and although that's probably hardly fair on Nina it does say something positive about hares ;) . Yesterday's was a tough puzzle but sometimes with irregulars it just clicks. I noticed that I had it done quicker than a few decent sudoku solvers, and would have probably been a points bonanza for me on a par with the aforementioned heyawake if it had registered. I can only assume some form of technical difficulties.

Instead the haul from today is looking like it'll be fairly meagre, which was a shame as I was making good progress up until now!

nickdeller

Post by nickdeller » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 2:20 pm

David,

The irregular sudoku released 11pm Sunday our time didn't count for the rating system, because of the new applets being released in the course of Monday and - I guess - the assumption that there'd be teething troubles. I happened to notice, having solved late on Sunday night with the old applet, that my time had disappeared from the high score table by yesterday morning. This is a good thing, as it was a rubbish time. :-)

I have read the story of the tortoise and the hare, but I was in a bit of a hurry, skimmed most of it and never got round to finishing it. The general gist is that the hare wins easily, isn't it? :lol:

I think your win in the prize-puzzle is pure good luck and random draw from all those who correctly solved, as far as I know. If you can work out what you're getting, I reckon there'll be plenty of good material in 10 Euros worth of PDF mags, though - enjoy!

berni

Post by berni » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 2:24 pm

david mcneill wrote:Some of the times recorded for yesterday's puzzle were ridiculous. I notice that the high score table is not being displayed. Is there a reason for this? The previous day I solved the puzzle in about 16 minutes but my time is not displayed.
With the new applets yesterday, it was quite easy to cheat (just solve in the morning, and use your result in the evening, when the highscoretable was erased). As I predicted this and some other (shorttime) problems, the introduction of the puzzles caused, the highscoretable was removed shortly before midnight. Form today on everything should work again as usual.
I also won a prize. How or for what I don't know. I think I did a Tapa prize puzzle, but I'm not particulalry quick at Tapa. Are previous winners disqualified? But I am now the proud owner of a 10 euro credit.
For the prizepuzzle you do not have to be quick. From all who managed to solve it, three winners are choosen randomly.
Does anybody know why I can't paste the puzzle instructions into an online translator? I don't seem to be able to select the text.
The text there is unfortunately not selectable. I'm sorry.