Stepping Stones puzzle

Links to puzzle sites all around the web
Maxelkat

Stepping Stones puzzle

Post by Maxelkat » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 10:03 am

Thought I'd share with everyone a new puzzle type I came up with.
196 EL stepping stones.doc
(32.97 KiB) Downloaded 757 times
The rules are very simple, but the puzzles can be quite tricky, (even at this modest size - if I went bigger they could be very tough indeed).
The first is reasonably easy.
The second is trickier, and has two very slightly different solutions (but depending on what answer key was asked for, could very well give identical answers).
I'd be very appreciative if people could take a look and give me some feedback.

Elliott

drsteve

Re: Stepping Stones puzzle

Post by drsteve » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 10:19 am

Maxelkat wrote:Thought I'd share with everyone a new puzzle type I came up with.
196 EL stepping stones.doc
The rules are very simple, but the puzzles can be quite tricky, (even at this modest size - if I went bigger they could be very tough indeed).
The first is reasonably easy.
The second is trickier, and has two very slightly different solutions (but depending on what answer key was asked for, could very well give identical answers).
I'd be very appreciative if people could take a look and give me some feedback.

Elliott
I think it needs an indication that a circle can be used more than once and that you don't need to use every circle. As a general thought, I'd be interested to know what sort of answer key you'd use, as with the repeated use of some circles, it's a bit fiddly to retrace your route correctly.

It's a nice idea - reminds me of something where every square was used and the circles were replaced with A, B, C. Can't remember if it was a path or a loop and, more importantly, where it was (old Akil Oyunlari, maybe, or an old 24H) but that didn't reuse squares, so this looks original.

Nicely done.

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 2:11 pm

This is a great puzzle! I'd be interested to see some of those harder examples
Might be worth saying (because you have an odd grid shape) that you're not allowed to escape outside the circles.

You reminded me of this site, and "multi-state mazes" in general:
http://www.logicmazes.com/

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 4:14 pm

Honestly? I'm struggling with the first one, let alone the second! :D

Maxelkat

Post by Maxelkat » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 5:05 pm

Thanks guys.

I'll tighten up the rules with regard to revisiting / not visiting cells, and only moving to adjacent cells.

Ronald, I've been trying to make a bigger one, but making a long route where there isn't a shortcut is proving difficult.

Elliott

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 5:35 pm

dickoon wrote:I'm struggling with the first one, let alone the second!
These aren't quite like what we're used to - cells can be reused, not all cells need to be visited, lines can cross...
Nice puzzles Elliott. Not too hard once you work out the rules... (and work from both ends at the same time) Larger grids would definitely be challenging.