Mensa Enigma Magazine

Links to puzzle sites all around the web
Maxelkat

Mensa Enigma Magazine

Post by Maxelkat » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 11:05 am

Hi all

As many of you already know, I edit a periodical newsletter for Mensa Members called 'Enigma'.
It's not exclusively for culture-fair puzzles, but even many of the language-dependent ones rely on some sort of logic (like Tetra-Word; and certainly Dice Logic, where language is only required for the answer key).
This issue includes contributions from Gareth Moore and Alan O'Donnell, both of this parish.
It's supposed to be exclusively for Mensa members, so I've had to take out some copyrighted stuff. I've also taken out the solutions to the previous issue, as they wouldn't mean much to you.
The puzzles are generally quite approachable, so might seem to some to be too easy, but hopefully a nice change of pace after the WPC.
I'd be very happy to receive feedback, good and bad.

Elliott Line
Attachments
195 ukpa.pdf
Enigma 195 - UKPA edit
(710.61 KiB) Downloaded 543 times

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Re: Mensa Enigma Magazine

Post by PuzzleScot » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 11:13 am

Well done Elliott! Thanks for championing the UKPA to what is hopefully a fruitful target group of potential candidates/sponsors!

You mentioned a coupld of WPC Fence puzzles would appear, but I don't see them. Were they just cut for our version?

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 11:33 am

Very nice work! You are in a great position to, and I hope you will be so kind as to, keep raising awareness of the UKPA and its contests over time. Fingers crossed for plenty of British Mensan participants in the qualifying test next year.

Chris
(probably Densan; have been as a guest to a meeting, but never tried out)

Maxelkat

Post by Maxelkat » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 11:39 am

PuzzleScot wrote:You mentioned a coupld of WPC Fence puzzles would appear, but I don't see them. Were they just cut for our version?
That's right Alan, the missing puzzles 195.07 and 195.25 are the two fence puzzles from last year's WPC.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 11:49 am

Sorry, it only occurred to me after posting that message that this is a public area, so they're not allowed. :roll:

Maxelkat

Post by Maxelkat » Sun 31 Oct, 2010 11:13 am

The two Nurikabe that I made for this issue are my first ever - so I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. I'm also very happy with Forest Map, which is a sort of hexagonal version of Black and White, and Twenty Sum Thing turned out well too I think.

Elliott

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 31 Oct, 2010 2:50 pm

Your puzzle creation skills are great! Well done. We here are all happy to be your loyal guinea pigs :D