My jigsaw game, Safari Jigsaw (safarijigsaw.com).

Links to puzzle sites all around the web
agamemnus

My jigsaw game, Safari Jigsaw (safarijigsaw.com).

Post by agamemnus » Mon 23 Feb, 2015 10:51 am

I made a jigsaw game a few months ago. It has a number of features that differentiate it from most other jigsaw games... the most prominent feature is the way the shapes are formed.

It's available on Android (4.0+) and on the web (Chrome and FF only -- still softening up rough edges on the browser version):

http://safarijigsaw.com/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... igsaw.free

I'm in the process of making a mythology-themed version (mostly dragons) and adding South American animals to the current game. Any input is appreciated!

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Re: My jigsaw game, Safari Jigsaw (safarijigsaw.com).

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 23 Feb, 2015 2:40 pm

My first comment on this, as I imagine would be everyone else's too:
What is the google login page all about on the opening page??
Clicking cancel (because hey, everyone expects a modicum of privacy, right?) just reloads the page. Bad practice in the extreme!

Edit - It's the same on the app version! I've never seen anything like it.
To be absolutely clear to anyone reading this, the UKPA does not endorse safarijigsaw in any of its forms as it stands.

agamemnus

Post by agamemnus » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 10:00 am

There isn't any privacy issue. A sign-in via OAuth only lets me see your name and lets me authenticate you as you on my server via Google's servers. The OAuth sign-in method I employ is the most barebones method and only gets the minimum amount of user data as required by Google's systems: your name, and your Google Player ID. (as well as a way to authenticate)

A Google sign-in is required as it is the only way to securely store player data for a user's account. (like "gems" or save states)

Most Google Play jigsaw games, if they save user data at all, don't have a Google sign-in and rely on the device ID. That means if you get a new device, you are SOL. I have seen comments on various Google Play games where people pony up thousands of dollars only to have nothing saved on their actual account when they switch devices. Using the device ID is a good business model as 99% of people don't understand the implications of the Google sign-in, but bad practice in reality. So I either make you happy now and angry later, or angry now and never a customer. :lol:

Some jigsaw games use the Google Play Services save games state. That stores a limited amount of data and is hackable, so it's not good for storing (earned) gem counts.

An earlier version didn't have this requirement and many players unknowingly played a lower-quality game.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 1:16 pm

agamemnus wrote:There isn't any privacy issue.
That's very naive of you to even suggest that.
agamemnus wrote:So I either make you ... angry later, or angry now ...
Honestly, do you still not see the problem here? Literally no other website gives me this choice.

torikul

Post by torikul » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 2:32 pm

Great job!! Great graphics & interface .

berni

Post by berni » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 6:47 pm

When I try to open the site, firefox tell's me, that it prevented several hundred popus per minute from popping up. I dislike such websites.

agamemnus

Post by agamemnus » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 6:56 pm

berni wrote:When I try to open the site, firefox tell's me, that it prevented several hundred popus per minute from popping up. I dislike such websites.
There is only one popup and it is for the Google sign-in as detailed above.

agamemnus

Post by agamemnus » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 6:59 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:
agamemnus wrote:There isn't any privacy issue.
That's very naive of you to even suggest that.
agamemnus wrote:So I either make you ... angry later, or angry now ...
Honestly, do you still not see the problem here? Literally no other website gives me this choice.
Well, I laid it all out and explained it to you. If you don't want to play it or endorse it, I can't help that. The Google OAuth login system is integral to the design and gameplay.
berni wrote:When I try to open the site, firefox tell's me, that it prevented several hundred popus per minute from popping up. I dislike such websites.
torikul wrote:Great job!! Great graphics & interface .
Thanks!

berni

Post by berni » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 7:40 pm

agamemnus wrote:
In the attachment, there is a screenshot.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (134.61 KiB) Viewed 8114 times

agamemnus

Post by agamemnus » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 9:19 pm

Try opening it in Chrome. It doesn't work that well in Iceweasel or even Firefox right now.

It might be automatically blocking the first sign-in pop-up, which launches another one, and so on.