Sudoku duel

Links to puzzle sites all around the web

Sudoku duel

Postby PuzzleScot » Mon 09 Feb, 2015 6:36 pm

Andrey Bogdanov has launched this today:
So, today I've started a new puzzle project: http://puzzleduel.club
Now it's very young and needs your help to grow. Come and play. Any comments are welcome.

You are co-operatively solving a sudoku with another person, but you are also competing, as you get a point for each cell you each fill in!
It's quite addictive unfortunately!
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Re: Sudoku duel

Postby DavidC » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 8:21 pm

It's quite addictive unfortunately!

Agreed ! My biggest problem is speed, and this seems like a great way to improve that.

David
DavidC

Postby PuzzleScot » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 10:56 am

I've never see myself as any good at sudoku, but I have to admit I'm getting a lot faster at spotting the next placement now.

The obvious improvements the site needs are:
- show how many / who is online
- chat. Maybe that's too much, but even just a button to say "Thanks for the games but I must go now".

On the 'would like' list:
- If there's chat, then a non-competitive mode where you are doing a truly co-operative solve
- other puzzle types.

There is enormous potential for this site, but I worry it will fade and eventually disappear.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Postby Fred76 » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 12:02 pm

Who is Fred77 :?:
Is it my update? :lol:

PuzzleScot wrote:IThe obvious improvements the site needs are:
- show how many / who is online
- chat. Maybe that's too much, but even just a button to say "Thanks for the games but I must go now".

I would add one thing:
-Having a new mode of entering digits: with keyboard/numpad. I don't find the actual system very convenient, it's hard to be fast by entering digits with the mouse.
Fred76

Postby AndreyBogdanov » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 11:07 pm

Thank you for playing and commenting. I'm planning to continue improvements and have a long list of desirable features. I agree about small chat and list of currently online players. Right now such list is not so interesting because there are too few players there. But if there number grows it will definetly needed.
Non-competitive mode is also possible. But I wouldn't put it at top of the list.

Special comments about Fred's suggestions. First version was based on keyboard input, but it makes playing on mobile devices impossible. So I changed it to mouse/touch. Keyboard input gives a huge advantage over mouse. So I don't want allow using keyboard right now because in this case we should create two "leagues" - one for desktop and other for mobile players. We need increase the number of players at least by three times.
AndreyBogdanov

Postby Fred76 » Sat 14 Feb, 2015 12:07 am

AndreyBogdanov wrote:Special comments about Fred's suggestions. First version was based on keyboard input, but it makes playing on mobile devices impossible. So I changed it to mouse/touch. Keyboard input gives a huge advantage over mouse. So I don't want allow using keyboard right now because in this case we should create two "leagues" - one for desktop and other for mobile players. We need increase the number of players at least by three times.

Yes, I didn't think about players using mobile devices.
There was such a such kind of interface on Argiologic a long time ago. I'm not a big fan, but I don't see another solution to compare fairly players using computers with players using mobile devices.
Fred76

Postby PuzzleScot » Sat 14 Feb, 2015 12:38 pm

AndreyBogdanov wrote: I agree about ... list of currently online players. Right now such list is not so interesting because there are too few players there.

Personally, I think that makes it *more* important...
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Postby rob » Sat 14 Feb, 2015 1:15 pm

I've also been having fun with this, I think it has huge potential.

Regarding the interface, I'd prefer to not have to click twice, i.e., button down, move to number, button up. That would also make it easier to abort by releasing anywhere else, which is tricky currently.

As to number of players, I guess the tricky part is reaching the stage where you'll always find an opponent. Have you considered filling the ranks with a simple bot? That could keep players occupied while alone on the site, which would make it a lot less likely that they're actually alone on the site.
rob

Postby detuned » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 10:47 pm

Fred77 makes me laugh! Presumably a younger and more capable version of yourself there Fred ;)

This is quite fun, but I agree the interface could be streamlined. Almost all of the online sudoku play have keyboard entry!
detuned

Return to Puzzle Links