Dealing with the Media

Discuss all puzzle-related subject here
Darth Florist

Dealing with the Media

Post by Darth Florist » Thu 14 Feb, 2019 10:53 am

I have compiled a considerable number of puzzles (all of the same type) which, I feel, are ripe for publication in a daily newspaper. I have attempted to contact a number of agencies/newspapers via direct e-mail, or via the electronic "Contact us" forms on their respective web-sites. With the exception of PuzzlerMedia, they have failed to even acknowledge my contact, let alone send me their opinion. One major culprit is Clarity Media, who supply puzzles to The Guardian and the i newspaper. Has anyone else suffer similar difficulties?

detuned

Re: Dealing with the Media

Post by detuned » Thu 14 Feb, 2019 10:37 pm

I can't say that surprises me - I get the impression that there's something of a closed shop within puzzle publishers, particular those which churn out mostly computer generated content (which I think is going to be most puzzles that appear in a newspaper).

My approach would be to try and find at least one named person at the organisation you are trying to contact. I don't imagine that's the easiest thing in the world, but it's worth noting that the one exception to computer generated puzzles in newspapers come in the form of (cryptic) crosswords. It might be worth trying to track down crossword editors as a lead?

danmoore

Post by danmoore » Fri 15 Feb, 2019 2:25 pm

Can you send me a direct message with the date you contacted Clarity Media? I have been through all our contact messages for a year and cannot find anything there corresponding to the name on your profile. Note that if the challenge question on our relevant contact form was answered incorrectly then your message would not have reached us.

Darth Florist

Post by Darth Florist » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 8:51 pm

I wish to publically apologise for the tone of my original posting when referring to Clarity Media. They explained why they never received my contact messages, which was due to my using the 'divide-by" sign (a horizontal bar with a dot above and below it), which the contact form couldn't interpret, so dumped my message into its junkbox. The same thing probably happened with my first message to them in 2011. I believed that my message HAD been read, but had been ignored. Both I and Clarity Media were both the victim of what "New Technology" does, and can't do.

Again, my apologies