New Zealand puzzle team

Discuss all puzzle-related subject here
kiwijam

New Zealand puzzle team

Post by kiwijam » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:05 pm

There were rumours that an unknown team of New Zealanders were planning to go to Bangalore.
This has now been confirmed in our national newspaper this morning.
Unfortunately I didn't qualify. :(
Not that there were 'qualifications' in the usual sense.
But the reporter did track me down via Prasanna for some handy tips.

There's even a light-hearted video, showing off their formidable knowledge...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/puzzl ... s-to-india

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Re: New Zealand puzzle team

Post by PuzzleScot » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:35 pm

Brilliant. Now you just need to see if you can qualify for the UK team!

"Simon O'Donnell will be driving from London to Bangalore".?

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:45 am

PuzzleScot wrote:"Simon O'Donnell will be driving from London to Bangalore".?
Yeah, I spent some time thinking about that sentence. There's a few war zones in between that I'd steer well clear of. Perhaps some well-placed ferry trips can cover a good percentage of it?
You could travel with your kinsman Alan!

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 2:03 pm

Hmm. Let me think about that

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 2:03 pm

Nah.

tamz29

Post by tamz29 » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 1:26 pm

As a potential future team-NZ member, my initial excitement was washed away when I read what they're actually about.
I see a group of non-necessarily-puzzle-solving friends, starting a "company" just to earn the rights to represent NZ at WSC/WPC.

I'd be surprised if they've solved anything beyond Sudokus before.
Negativity aside, I hope this is the first step towards introducing puzzles to NZ.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 5:18 pm

As I said in a speech once (if anyone was listening), most people do not attend the WPC with any expectation of winning.
They attend because it is a gathering of like-minded people, and is a very enjoyable experience.

Anyone who has been to a WPC will testify this. (Not sure if the WSC is in the same category. I may be wrong)
I'm sure the NZ team will find their way to the UK/Aus table in their own time, and be very welcomed.
I'm also sure that their flippant attitude will only add to the experience for everyone.

Finally, if there are any (ahem) serious puzzlers in NZ, they will rise to the A team quickly, as it is a requirement of WPF membership that Open qualifying tournaments are held. This is all good. I'd like to see Tonga, Samoa and Fiji send teams too on the back of this publicity, but be prepared for a parallel rugby 7s tournament while the football is on! (again, only a good thing ;) )

furudo.erika

Post by furudo.erika » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 10:53 pm

Nice tips James, even if the reporter does appear to have struggled with counting them ;)

emma

Post by emma » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 11:07 pm

To be fair, because James has competed for the UK, they were probably unaware of any other New Zealanders interested - although the reporter obviously managed to find out about James from Prasanna, and James (and somebody else - one of the team?) have competed in the Grand Prix under New Zealand.

Perhaps new member organisations should be obliged to solicit participation from anyone registered in the Grand Prix from their country, as well as any WPF personal members.

We shall see whether James scores more than the rest of his compatriots put together...

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 11:23 pm

emma wrote:We shall see whether James scores more than the rest of his compatriots put together...
I accept your challenge! (actually I expect me vs 4 could be a close battle)
The other recent NZ entrant in the GP and UKPC is a work colleague (Ross) of mine that I am encouraging.
None of the 'true' NZ WSC/WPC team members have ever entered an online contest...

emma

Post by emma » Fri 30 Jun, 2017 7:33 am

I seem to remember that in Kraljevika, Prasanna was a one-man UN team for the sudoku, and did very respectably.