Stuck with a Sudoku

Discuss all puzzle-related subject here
Scott_be

Stuck with a Sudoku

Post by Scott_be »

Can anyone help with this sudoku please? I'm stuck at this point. I tried solver websites. They do find one unique solution, but can't tell which next logic step leads to solving the puzzle. The last step I was able to make was an XYZ elimination of a 2 in the indicated cell. Can anyone help me finding that one next logic step please? Best regards, Scott.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (192.82 KiB) Viewed 17129 times
afcwarren

Re: Stuck with a Sudoku

Post by afcwarren »

Someone clever than me will no doubt come up with better logic but the 2s form a chain. If the cell in row 2 column 3 (R2C3) was a 2, then following this through to R6C3, R6C7 and then R2C8, there would be two 2s in row 2 - therefore R2C3 cannot be a 2.
detuned

Post by detuned »

R3C7 is a 3 - see what happens when you try a 2 or a 4 there.

To see what is really going on, try and see what's going on with the pairs in column 2 and row 6 - this is an example of a technique known as "colouring". It's quite nice that you can do this with two numbers (i.e. 2's and 4's) on this occasion!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Scott_be

Post by Scott_be »

Thank you for your help afcwarren and detuned! Much appreciated. This solved the puzzle :) thank you
Fred76

Post by Fred76 »

I'll add my 2 cents here.

The 1rst trick I saw on this one was to use uniqueness technique on the 3 bottom regions. You have to place the 8 in R9C8, otherwise you'll have a big loop with digits 2, 4, 6 and 9 (in columns 1, 2, 6, 8) that would have 2 solutions.

But colouring is fine, too, of course ;)

Fred