Just starting my puzzling career, lots of questions

Discuss all puzzle-related subject here
SyZ

Just starting my puzzling career, lots of questions

Post by SyZ » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 2:18 am

So I've always been interested in puzzles and I've done a few here and there over the years, recently I picked one up with my girlfriend and we both had fun doing it. However, it was just a crummy little 5 dollar thing from Big Lots we got after Xmas

I was looking online and saw that Ravensburger has a lot of high quality puzzles and I like how the pieces click together - is this generally considered the 'best' company to purchase from?

What is the best way to glue a puzzle after completion? Can I purchase http://www.amazon.com/Podge-CS11302-Ori ... =hod+podge (notice it's matte) and then pour it on a completed puzzle around the edges, then evenly distribute it for about five minutes using a laminated card (ie expired insurance or credit card), and then let it all dry out? Ideally, I would like to keep and maintain all my completed puzzles and in the future when I purchase a house be able to frame and put some on the walls in place of artwork, so that I can say I did it myself

How many puzzles of each count should I do before I attempt something higher. IE, how many 1k puzzles should I complete before I try out a 1.5k or 2k?

What is the best method for systematically assembling a puzzle? Currently I take all the edge pieces (keep in mind I've only done 1k so it's not really a burden to go through pieces again) and assemble it so I have a frame, then I go through the remaining pieces and take out everything I goes in a section that is distinct, ie if the only red in the puzzle is on a house I take everything that's red and then everything I think belongs to the house. I then repeat with other sections. This seems tedious and incorrect, though...

And the one question that eludes me ... how do you handle the physical limitations of working on something like a 9k piece puzzle? It's impossible to actually get in the middle without stepping on everything which doesn't appeal to me at all, and even if the puzzle 'only' takes up something like 10 feet by 7 feet, you still have to be able to turn up the pieces, separate them, etc ...

Thanks!

detuned

Re: Just starting my puzzling career, lots of questions

Post by detuned » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:29 am

Hi SyZ

although I'm sure some of us do enjoy the occasional jigsaw puzzle, that isn't really our area of expertise so I'm not sure how much good advice you are going to get here. The kind of puzzles we do are logic puzzles!

SyZ

Re: Just starting my puzzling career, lots of questions

Post by SyZ » Sun 12 Jan, 2014 7:45 pm

Hm, this was the only forum that was at least somewhat occupied that I found in two hours of searching ... = /

Thanks, sorry for the invalid thread