Any interest in a UK croco-puzzle ladder?

For the discussion of daily/weekly puzzles.
dickoon

Re: Any interest in a UK croco-puzzle ladder?

Post by dickoon » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 9:41 pm

driv4r wrote:Okay, I just registered on the LMI website and will give it a try if possible. But as I understand if I start it I can't pause it, so I need to have 120 minutes (in one go) available for it, right?
In competition terms, yes; in practice terms (and because you shouldn't expect to be able to come close to solving all the puzzles within two hours!) it's probably more helpful to complete as many of them as you enjoy, however long it takes you.

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 1:26 am

Got a nice time like 33:33 in yesterday's Killer Sudoku, which gave me my best daily rating so far -- 437 -- and also my best ranking -- 245. I'd say not bad considering it's the 2nd one of those I have solved and my mate called me twice while I was solving, so probably lost ~5 mins there :P

EDIT: Update after solving Monday's puzzles.
It's nice to see that I can start solving the puzzle before 23:00 and finish next day and it still counts! Btw, ABC Box is one darn annoying thingy and quite random too, didn't like it much tbh. I had solved one Fillomino before, so it was much easier but still I made some mistakes (not Fehleversuch though!) and had to start again, so it took quite some time to get it solved.

EDIT2: Update after solving Tuesday's puzzles.
Couldn't solve them on time, so solved them without logging in later on (couldn't carry on solving as I was at my mate's place when I started). Times were 22:50 in Magic Labyrinth (would have been way slower if I could have solved it in one go) and 1:42:45 in Stations. Both of them were new for me, so I didn't stand a chance anyway, therefore didn't lose anything by not getting the results in.

EDIT3: Update after Wednesday's puzzles.
I had solved 1 comparison sudoku before, so I already knew what I was doing. Got a more or less okay result but I tried to solve fast and went wrong once, so possibly could have done it 2-3 minutes faster. But it meant easily my best daily rating so far: 603 :) Hmm, also my comparison sudoku rating (121 with 1 result considered) is best of those puzzles I've solved so far. Still didn't use it to full as PuzzleScot easily beat me. Gotta hope for killer sudoku, irregular sudoku/sudoku to appear in next 2 days! ;)
Kakuro was brand new for me, so just got it solved. In fact it was one of the easiest ones I've solved so far but I had few doubts and confusions at first, so relatively poor time for this particular puzzle (11:53).

EDIT4: Update after Thursday's and Friday's puzzles.
Though I had solved both of Thursday's puzzles -- Stations and Kropki -- once before, the results were rather poor. It seems that the Stations just doesn't suit me and I tend to get to positions where it's tempting to improvise (enter a line without being 100% sure) and more than once I have to delete a big junk. And Kropki was the first puzzle I solved on CrocoPuzzle ~1 month ago, so I didn't remember it that well any more, next time should get a better result in it!
"Stupid is as stupid does." -- Forrest Gump

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sun 10 Jun, 2012 2:27 am

Here are the provisional results of last week's fixtures on the croco-puzzle ladder. These are only provisional as they are hand-counted; Alan's page seems to be, as we used to say, "floopy" at this moment in time. I suspect this may be my fault for waiting until Sunday to produce these results and not putting a new set of Sunday fixtures on the system.

detuned 6 drsteve 4
erika 3 rodders 7
afcwarren 7 puzzlemad 3
PuzzleScot 9 driv4r 1

Congratulations to our winners! Next week's fixtures are as follows:

detuned - rodders
drsteve - afcwarren
erika - PuzzleScot
puzzlemad - Dataman

Waiting list: dickoon, driv4r

Errors and exceptions excepted, and more likely expected than usual. Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible. If anyone on the waiting list wants to drop out, that's fine. Feel free to concede a match, or all your future matches. New players are welcome and I shall change the length of the ladder if the waiting list reaches four or zero.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 10 Jun, 2012 1:46 pm

Alan's page seems to be, as we used to say, "floopy" at this moment in time.
I know what you're talking about - at the start of a day, when a new puzzle has been published, but no-one has submitted a solve for it, the auto-formatting can get confused. I am aware of it, but have no inclination to change it right now. I also know that blank cells to the right of the last solve on each row don't show at all. Again, shrug, sorry, but no biggie, right?

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sun 10 Jun, 2012 1:59 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:Again, shrug, sorry, but no biggie, right?
Not at all - and it's good to know what triggers it!

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 10 Jun, 2012 10:31 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:I also know that blank cells to the right of the last solve on each row don't show at all.
Actually, this one was an easy fix ;)

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Mon 11 Jun, 2012 1:18 am

So, on the last day of last week's competition we had domino and area sums, which were both new for me. That considered, I'd say I managed to get an okay result in area sums but I didn't stand a chance against PuzzleScot. On other days I tried not to check his times before I started to solve because I wanted to avoid putting myself under extra pressure but this time I knew I just had to beat him -- it would have been really shameful for me to get whitewashed -- so I checked his domino time before solving and despite losing probably about 5 mins as I had to figure out how to solve it (the rules for this one really don't say much here, I think there is like one sentence or sth, not sure why) I finally managed to beat PuzzleScot! :lol: And as I managed to finish in 204th position with daily rating of 1013, which are both my best results in surprise puzzles so far I was obviously happy with it. Domino rating (203) is now my highest rating too.

My minimum goal for the week was not to get whitewashed, so I have accomplished that, which means it was OK. Unfortunately we had only one sudoku (which I didn't win) this week and that didn't help my cause. Anyway, you were way too good PuzzleScot.

Obviously I'm disappointed that I was relegated but next time I should be better and I hope to get more sudokus and maybe a bit weaker opponent too ;)

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sat 16 Jun, 2012 2:55 pm

Yet another close contest between erika and myself, 6-6 after extra time! Well done erika on your better overall time!
Interestingly, my Mon-Fri geometric mean was better than erika's, although erika had a better Mon-Sat geometric mean. very close...

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 7:57 pm

Here are the results of last week's fixtures on the croco-puzzle ladder. It's been far too long since I've thanked Alan for all the hard work he has put into his scoring page; whether you're on the ladder or not, you can compare your performances with those of any other ladder member and see where you would stand in comparison.

detuned 8 rodders 2
drsteve 8 afcwarren 2
erika 6 PuzzleScot 6 after tie-break; erika wins on lower total time
puzzlemad 3 Dataman 7

detuned - drsteve
rodders - erika
afcwarren - Dataman
PuzzleScot - dickoon

Waiting list: driv4r, puzzlemad

Errors and exceptions excepted. Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible. If anyone on the waiting list wants to drop out, that's fine. Feel free to concede a match, or all your future matches. New players are welcome and I shall change the length of the ladder if the waiting list reaches four or zero.

PuzzlerNickG

Post by PuzzlerNickG » Mon 18 Jun, 2012 10:39 am

Finally! I believe that's my first non-walkover win. :D

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 12:30 am

Achieved my best performance and daily rating -- 1353 -- yesterday! :D Quite narrowly (by 5 secs) missed out on top 200, finished 208., which is my 2nd best result so far. And my comparison sudoku rating is now 367 (my best game rating on CrocoPuzzle), which I'm quite happy with as I've only solved 2 of them. Overall rating obviously improved a lot too :)

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 7:11 am

PuzzlerNickG wrote:Finally! I believe that's my first non-walkover win. :D
Sorry I couldn't be better opposition, but have been absolutely dire recently.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Fri 22 Jun, 2012 7:11 pm

erika - rodders has finished 5-5 and is set to go into Extra Time tomorrow! The other matches have all concluded decisively.

dickoon

UK Croco-Puzzle ladder: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by dickoon » Fri 22 Jun, 2012 8:41 pm

Just over three months ago, I suggested that the ladder was fairly obviously running out of steam. The decisions I took in ladder design were sufficiently onerous that there has not been the degree of growth in the ladder that I had hoped for and a general lack of enthusiasm. Over the last three months, there has not been anything to make me change my mind.

Accordingly, I propose to draw this ladder to a conclusion after twelve more weeks, with the last set of fixtures covering Monday 10th to Friday 14th September, with extra time on Saturday 15th September if required. (Or earlier if sufficiently people drop out before that.) If anyone wishes to continue the ladder after that point, or start any other format of competition based in any way on the data generated by the ladder, they are very welcome to do so, and treat this as something of a learning experience.

The date has been selected so to conclude the ladder before the first round of matches in the forthcoming Croco-League, which is frankly far more exciting a prospect and likely to be better run than the ladder has been by virtue of requiring less of the erratic manual intervention that has happened.

Thanks to everyone who has taken part!

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sun 24 Jun, 2012 2:38 am

Here are the results of last week's fixtures on the croco-puzzle ladder, courtesy as ever of Alan's page.

detuned 8 drsteve 2
rodders 7 erika 5 after tie-break
afcwarren 3 Dataman 7
PuzzleScot 6 dickoon 4

detuned - rodders
drsteve - Dataman
PuzzleScot - erika
afcwarren - driv4r

Waiting list: puzzlemad, dickoon

Errors and exceptions excepted. Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible. If anyone on the waiting list wants to drop out, that's fine. Feel free to concede a match, or all your future matches. New players are welcome (though after this week there will only be eleven further weeks played in the ladder) and I shall change the length of the ladder if the waiting list reaches four or zero.

I would particularly like to draw the attention of ladder participants, whether past, present or potential, to the forthcoming Croco-Liga team competition. It looks tremendous to me and will require people to make much less of a commitment than the ladder, requiring solvers to tackle only three puzzles every other week.

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Sun 24 Jun, 2012 10:32 am

Tried to solve today's Slalom but spent hours on it without any success trying to guess pretty much all the cells, which obviously didn't help to get it solved (I got everything filled in few times but always with mistakes). Then checked out the tips here on the forum and got about half of it solved but after that had to guess loads of cells again, which was nearly impossible (would be possible with numbers but not with lines), so I cannot see the way how to get this freak solved! :x

If anyone has any ideas then let me know...

EDIT: So, that's about where I get without guessing (should be OK to post it here today as the competition is not on). Btw, is there no way to save, went out and had to start all over again?
Last edited by driv4r on Sun 24 Jun, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

berni

Post by berni » Sun 24 Jun, 2012 12:51 pm

driv4r wrote:Tried to solve today's Slalom but spent hours on it without any success trying to guess pretty much all the cells, which obviously didn't help to get it solved (I got everything filled in few times but always with mistakes). Then checked out the tips here on the forum and got about half of it solved but after that had to guess loads of cells again, which was nearly impossible (would be possible with numbers but not with lines), so I cannot see the way how to get this freak solved! :x

If anyone has any ideas then let me know...

EDIT: So, that's about where I get without guessing (should be OK to post it here today as the competition is not on). Btw, is there no way to save, went out and had to start all over again?
Please do not discuss the Ü-Rätsel before the end of the day they are published!!! Although there is no ladder going on today, the Ü-Rätsel itself is still a contest.

sknight

Post by sknight » Sun 24 Jun, 2012 2:01 pm

Arrgh. Looks like the scores for the puzzle have been thrown out because of this.

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Sun 24 Jun, 2012 2:02 pm

OK, no worries, removed the image. Hopefully no one cheated :roll:

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 24 Jun, 2012 2:09 pm

driv4r wrote:"Stupid is as stupid does." -- Forrest Gump

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Sun 24 Jun, 2012 2:14 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:
driv4r wrote:"Stupid is as stupid does." -- Forrest Gump

:mrgreen:

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 24 Jun, 2012 11:48 pm

I'm surprised you think it's funny. Over 100 people spent an average of 20-30 minutes on that puzzle.

If a current puzzle is revealed in any way, on any public forum, no matter how briefly, that might help anyone else, the puzzle is scrapped, and the results wiped (quite rightly). Don't do it again.

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Mon 25 Jun, 2012 10:30 pm

A lot of people were upset by that. Berni was generous to not mention the name of the user or the forum that caused the puzzle cancellation.

A second point is that you should not ask for help (public or private) while you're still in a contest. If someone explained how to solve it you could enter the solution before the end of the day and get a better time.

We are happy to help on the next day. But for now the best advice is to go to Preisraetsel and do the small Slaloms from all the years for practise. This was a very hard puzzle, and all new puzzlers will struggle to solve it. And sometimes it does require a guess, so the more you practise the better your guesses get...

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 1:10 am

PuzzleScot wrote:I'm surprised you think it's funny. Over 100 people spent an average of 20-30 minutes on that puzzle.

If a current puzzle is revealed in any way, on any public forum, no matter how briefly, that might help anyone else, the puzzle is scrapped, and the results wiped (quite rightly). Don't do it again.
I thought the quotation was funny, nothing else, and as you were making fun of me using it I laughed ;)

And I really didn't do it to upset anyone. I was just terribly annoyed by this puzzle at the time and at the same time I was naive enough to not think it would cause such disturbances, neither was I trying to cheat to get a better time (and I had spent ~12 hours on it already anyway).

EDIT: I'm back in the contest, so gotta hope for more sudokus than there were first time I was in it ;) Otherwise gonna be really tough...
Though I think I'm in the lead after the 1st day but only thanks to afcwarren's inactivity :? Both of the puzzles were new to me and the U-bahn really tough one too, so used 3 colours to get it solved and still struggled.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 26 Jun, 2012 8:43 am

1) As kiwijam said - go practice on the preisratsel archive.
2) If you need solving tips, ask generically, and preferable here
3) Oh, and that U-bahn was one of the easiest examples we've seen!