Any interest in a UK croco-puzzle ladder?

For the discussion of daily/weekly puzzles.
furudo.erika

Re: Any interest in a UK croco-puzzle ladder?

Post by furudo.erika » Fri 18 May, 2012 2:08 pm

Third times the charm :D

2 seconds on the final puzzle of the week decides yet another ridiculously close match with Alan. This time in my favour.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Fri 18 May, 2012 2:52 pm

Haha - 3rd time lucky ;) I had just noticed that too - *2* seconds on the last puzzle of the week! groan. Your 3-second victory on Wednesday's Masyu helped too! Well done. Another thrilling match - I look forward to our next encounter. Since we are in the same cycle, that shouldn't be too far away...

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Sat 19 May, 2012 8:32 pm

Is it somehow possible to solve yesterday's surprise puzzle? I started to solve one of the Zeltlagers last night but had to quit as the library was closed...

EDIT: Apparently it is actually today's! I assume the server time on croco-puzzle.com is one hour ahead and I started to solve after 23:00 yesterday, so thought it was yesterday's :D

EDIT 2: Woo, just finished it with my slowest time so far: 22 hours, 33 minutes!

EDIT 3: Probably my best performance ever so far in today's surprise puzzle 1: beating 15 atm and my rating should go up by 2!! Obviously it's thanks to 2 Zeltlagers a day, which meant I already knew the basics after solving the puzzle 2 before, therefore making it a whole lot easier ;)
"Stupid is as stupid does." -- Forrest Gump

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sun 20 May, 2012 2:23 am

Here are the results of last week's fixtures on the croco-puzzle ladder, courtesy as ever of Alan's page.

drsteve 6 rodders 4
afcwarren 5 detuned 7 after extra time
PuzzleScot 4 erika 6
oenomel 6 Dataman 4

Please check these carefully; the "Scores" cross-table at the bottom might not be reliable. Congratulations to our winners! One of the tightest weeks yet if my arithmetic is correct, with all the matches being 6-4 or closer. Next week's fixtures are as follows:

drsteve - detuned
rodders - erika
afcwarren - oenomel
PuzzleScot - dickoon

Waiting list: puzzlemad, driv4r, Dataman

Errors and exceptions excepted and I'm less confident about these results than usual. Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible. If anyone on the waiting list wants to drop out, that's fine. Feel free to concede a match, or all your future matches. New players are welcome and I shall change the length of the ladder if the waiting list reaches four or zero.

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Sun 20 May, 2012 9:41 pm

@driv4r: to answer your first question, if you go to crocopuzzle but don't log in then you'll see yesterday's puzzles instead of today's. It won't count toward your score, but you can still complete them for fun.

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Mon 21 May, 2012 10:31 pm

Thanks kiwijam, luckily I didn't need it this time but it's good to know! :)

Strangely there were 3 Zeltlagers/Campsites in a row on 2 days, so that helped me get my first somewhat decent results -- 2 daily ratings over 200 and twice in top 300. My overall rating is still as low as 4 though, Zeltlager rating is 70 (2 results considered).
I'm already looking forward to sudokus appearing in surprise puzzles section as I would like to get some decent results too! ;) 2 of those 3 that are on CrocoPuzzle are completely new for me though but should still be much easier and more familiar than freaks like Tapa (btw, tapa means kill in Estonian) for example. Killer Sudoku looks very interesting and Irregularity Sudoku looks good too!

sknight

Post by sknight » Tue 22 May, 2012 10:51 pm

Be careful what you wish for ... 8-)

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 22 May, 2012 11:25 pm

Indeed! If you want some practice on any types, go to the Monatraetsel (Monthly puzzle) area. There are over 100 monthly puzzles in the archives from this page: http://www.croco-puzzle.com/Preisraetse ... aetsel.php

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Wed 23 May, 2012 5:26 am

Lauri, Tapa is also a railway town in Estonia, and so some people have made a railway-themed Tapa puzzle types. The Tapa puzzle name comes from Turkish Art PAint.

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Wed 23 May, 2012 5:17 pm

Yes, I know but it's a small town (smaller than my home town). Word 'tapa' is used more with a meaning kill (comes from verb 'tapma') though. Tbh, I don't know why is the town named Tapa but there are some weird names for places etc., e.g. there is a brook flowing through my hometown called Valuoja, which means Painriver or Painbrook.

But how do you know about town Tapa as you are not from Estonia?? :shock: Because of those railway-themed puzzles or sth?

EDIT: Just completed yesterday's (considering server time) Comparison Sudoku with a time 23min 52sek and that's the first time I have solved that kind of sudoku, so it's okay I think. Was faster than a couple of people from here too ;)

berni

Post by berni » Fri 25 May, 2012 12:39 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:Indeed! If you want some practice on any types, go to the Monatraetsel (Monthly puzzle) area. There are over 100 monthly puzzles in the archives from this page: http://www.croco-puzzle.com/Preisraetse ... aetsel.php
Weekly. ;)

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sat 26 May, 2012 7:06 am

Curses! A swearwording Schlange on tie-break day. Congrats in advance, Tom

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sat 26 May, 2012 12:54 pm

Indeed, the classic drsteve - detuned championship clash has gone to a tie-break.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sat 26 May, 2012 3:22 pm

Arguably there is some comedy in the fact that both the championship contenders Fehlversuched the Schlange in extra time...

Here are the results of last week's fixtures on the croco-puzzle ladder, courtesy as ever of Alan's page.

drsteve 6 detuned 6; detuned wins on lower total time
rodders 3 erika 7
afcwarren 6 oenomel 4
PuzzleScot 6 dickoon 4

Congratulations to our winners, especially to Steve for a long championship completed and to Tom at the start of his reign to come. Four tight matches again; in my case, I spent a good half-hour on the Laser last night, realised I wasn't going to crack it and called it a night. Next week's fixtures are as follows:

detuned - erika
drsteve - afcwarren
PuzzleScot - rodders
oenomel - puzzlemad

Waiting list: driv4r, Dataman, dickoon

Errors and exceptions excepted. Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible. If anyone on the waiting list wants to drop out, that's fine. Feel free to concede a match, or all your future matches. New players are welcome and I shall change the length of the ladder if the waiting list reaches four or zero.

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Mon 28 May, 2012 9:36 pm

Yay, next week I'm in it!

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 28 May, 2012 10:43 pm

Oh wow, I had no idea things were so close - and when I did I thought that badly messing up the snake combined with Steve's great time on the sksycrapers had me finished. I guess I was saved by sudoku last week...it's a pity those two killers happened on a Sunday this week!

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Tue 29 May, 2012 4:22 pm

detuned wrote:Oh wow, I had no idea things were so close - and when I did I thought that badly messing up the snake combined with Steve's great time on the sksycrapers had me finished. I guess I was saved by sudoku last week...it's a pity those two killers happened on a Sunday this week!

Yeah, you messed up slightly less badly than I did on the snake...

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Thu 31 May, 2012 1:52 am

Wow, just solved the Arukone and gotta say it's defo the easiest puzzle I've solved so far on CrocoPuzzle. Kinda expected sth more difficult, so didn't really go for it at full speed but still beat drsteve :mrgreen: Admittedly he has a Felversuch though, otherwise I wouldn't have had a chance.

EDIT: Juhhei, beating detuned too :D

nickdeller

Post by nickdeller » Fri 01 Jun, 2012 4:00 pm

I'd like to drop off the ladder for the time being if I may, either by retrospectively conceding this week's match or by conceding the next two - whichever seems to cause less disruption. I intend to rejoin the ladder later in the year if it's still running, but after a year solid the Crocopuzzles are starting to feel more like a daily chore than I want them to! :)

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Fri 01 Jun, 2012 4:20 pm

driv4r wrote:Wow, just solved the Arukone and gotta say it's defo the easiest puzzle I've solved so far on CrocoPuzzle. Kinda expected sth more difficult, so didn't really go for it at full speed but still beat drsteve :mrgreen: Admittedly he has a Felversuch though, otherwise I wouldn't have had a chance.

EDIT: Juhhei, beating detuned too :D
That's coz if you rush it, you forget to link the E's in the bottom right corner. I bet that's what Tom did too.

As for today, not enough hours in the day. Congrats to afcwarren if he has the time to crunch one of them out - if not, see you in the tie-break!

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Fri 01 Jun, 2012 7:26 pm

I agree with the chore sentiment, especially on days like this. Despite being on the brink of a title-contender match, I think this has run its course.
What really messed me up this week was NOT doing some puzzles the night before. With daytime interruptions, I might as well not have bothered trying.

detuned

Post by detuned » Fri 01 Jun, 2012 7:26 pm

no, my fehlver came from my mouse cocking up the top right - I was aiming to finish there to minimise mouse movement over to the submit button, but the last link I drew in managed to overwrite the second last one. If I'd stopped even for half a second before submitting I'd have caught it!

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 3:26 am

Two matches going to extra time this week:
drsteve - afcwarren
PuzzleScot - rodders

I'll stand by my comments from 21st March suggesting that the ladder's days are numbered; while I'd like to let this come to a natural conclusion (not least because it would seem to be a shame not to let driv4r and any other new entrant not even have a go!) then if sufficiently many people drop out of the league then perhaps we should draw things to that natural conclusion sooner rather than later.

In the most general terms, by way of a replacement, I'm considering running a team-based competition. The teams would be representative, but without the bar of having to be among the top few of your country in order to participate; why can't us crap 'uns have the fun of being on a puzzle team? ;)

Requiring people to participate in croco-puzzle puzzles of unpredictable length and ideally do so every day has proved to be a pretty considerable barrier to entry. Instead, competition would be based, as far as possible, on people taking part in puzzle contests that they were going to take part in anyway. I think there can be meaningful competition based on people taking part in just one or two standard length (perhaps one hour to three hour) competitions per month.

I would hope to design such a competition so that it can be run without having to generate new content just for it. We would piggy-back on national WPC qualifiers, and LMI's regular tests, and Croco-puzzle timed competitions, and PuzzleFountain tests, and any other suitable contest run at any other site, especially one that might welcome an influx of new players. (The HALAS Cup puzzle rounds were great, but very few Brits took part!) There's a little more selectivity to it than that; I would be inclined to pick only general puzzle contests, rather than contests in variants of only one puzzle, whether sudoku, Tapa, fillomino, skyscrapers or any other standard format. Not every contest will be suitable for global participation in terms of fixed timescales as well. It also doesn't help, in terms of scheduling, when we find out about these exciting national qualifiers, which look really, really good, only a few days before they're due to happen.

I've been thinking about this for a while and I can't completely make it work, which is why I haven't really talked about it out loud yet - but that's the general model I'm considering. I think I've shown that I'm happy to plough on with a competition that works well enough and competitors who are prepared to play in the right spirit, rather than requiring the design to be perfect in advance, but I'll keep thinking for now. Of course, if anybody else is as excited about the general principle as I am and wants to start their own contest before I get around to doing so then I'd be happy to play in someone else's league rather than run my own!

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 2:49 pm

detuned 8 erika 2
drsteve 7 afcwarren 5 after tie-break
PuzzleScot 5 rodders 7 after tie-break
puzzlemad w/o oenomel by concession (it's OK to concede while the week is in progress, though retrospective concessions are difficult)

Congratulations to our winners! Two more very tight matches. Next week's fixtures are as follows:

detuned - drsteve
erika - rodders
afcwarren - puzzlemad
PuzzleScot - driv4r

Waiting list: Dataman, dickoon

Errors and exceptions excepted. Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible. If anyone on the waiting list wants to drop out, that's fine. Feel free to concede a match, or all your future matches. New players are welcome and I shall change the length of the ladder if the waiting list reaches four or zero.

driv4r, a couple of tips: try the Croco-Rätselwettbewerb contest if you can get the chance; it'll give you a chance to practice the types of puzzles that you'll face on the ladder, even if it won't let you practice on the user interface. The other thing to say is to check the high-score charts every day to get an impression of how long each puzzle will take; you don't have to solve every puzzle every day if there's one which looks like it'll take hours that you don't have to spend, though obviously you can't win on a puzzle you don't try.

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 8:46 pm

Whew, here we go then! 8-)
Probably need a good number of sudokus among next week's puzzles and few mistakes from my opponent to have any winning chances (or to not get whitewashed) but we'll see.

Okay, I just registered on the LMI website and will give it a try if possible. But as I understand if I start it I can't pause it, so I need to have 120 minutes (in one go) available for it, right?