Any interest in a UK croco-puzzle ladder?

For the discussion of daily/weekly puzzles.
dickoon

Re: Any interest in a UK croco-puzzle ladder?

Post by dickoon » Sat 14 May, 2011 9:04 am

Blimey! You two are quick. I usually have to be awake for several hours before I feel even close to being alert enough to solve puzzles of any sort.

Here are the results of the seventh week of the UK croco-puzzle ladder:

Code: Select all

| detuned   rodders | drsteve   ronaldx | afcwarren   puzzlemad | PuzzleScot   dickoon |
Monday            |                   |                   |                       |                      |
Kakuro            | 11:52     13:50   | 22:31     20:06   | 9999:59     14:33     | 14:30        20:11   |
Kropki            | 00:39     01:11   | 02:14     01:12   | 02:07       01:11     | 02:02        01:23   |
Tuesday           |                   |                   |                       |                      |
Fillomino         | 01:45     03:59   | 02:10     08:04   | 9999:59     04:13     | 03:03        09:07   |
Arukone           | 01:59     01:49   | 00:47     01:41   | 9999:59     02:14     | 02:30        04:24   |
Wednesday         |                   |                   |                       |                      |
U-Bahn            | 14:43     10:00   | 05:59     9999:59 | 31:10       11:59     | 46:40        17:03   |
ABCD-Rätsel       | 17:56     10:43   | 09:02     9999:59 | 10:37       13:44     | 10:45        20:40   |
Thursday          |                   |                   |                       |                      |
Rundweg           | 13:37     9999:59 | 36:41     9999:59 | 9999:59     31:00     | 40:59        9999:59 |
Vergleichssudoku  | 31:26     29:17   | 84:09     9999:59 | 9999:59     9999:59   | 254:37       9999:59 |
Friday            |                   |                   |                       |                      |
Japanische Summen | 23:32     15:56   | 09:32     16:52   | 9999:59     26:43     | 32:39        40:19   |
Slalom            | 14:50     26:40   | 28:46     12:41   | 9999:59     63:14     | 23:15        37:05   |
FINAL SCORE       | 5         5       | 7         3       | 1           8         | 8            2       |
detuned 5 rodders 5
drsteve 7 ronaldx 3 (...though what might have happened if Ronald had been available on Wednesday and Thursday?)
afcwarren 1 puzzlemad 8
PuzzleScot 8 dickoon 2

Thus the detuned-rodders championship match went into extra time, as follows:

| detuned   rodders |
Saturday          |                   |
Japanische Summen | 06:34     07:33   |
Hochhauser        | 03:08     01:37   |
FINAL SCORE       | 1         1       |
So we have to resort to the next tie-breaker, the total time over the week. As he has acknowledged, Roderick's incomplete Rundweg on Thursday gets counted as taking ten thousand hours and has ruled him out here, thus Tom defends his title once again. Incidentally, I am a very, very lucky moderator in that last week forced me to make it explicit that we compare the total time of the entire week, not just the total time for Saturday. This week, that would have made a big difference!

Commiserations to Roderick; after last week's extra time, I said "it doesn't get much closer than that". This week's extra time did get closer. I'm going to keep saying it and saying it until the elements freeze over and we finally have to draw lots, but it really doesn't get much closer than this week. (Nicely non-specific word, "much".) Congratulations to the winners, especially Tom on his third consecutive successful title defence!

Also, now we have a new entrant to the league, the loser of the relegation match is - indeed - relegated from it. The dubious honour of being the first player relegated from the league in practice goes to me, which is only fitting as I had the counterpart distinction of being the first player relegated from the league in theory back in week three. I shall put myself back on the waiting list for when the next vacancy arises.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sat 14 May, 2011 9:12 am

The eighth week's matches are as follows:

CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
detuned (C) vs. drsteve
Winner becomes (or remains) champion and defends the championship next week, loser descends to the #1 contender match next week.

#1 CONTENDER MATCH
rodders vs. puzzlemad
Winner becomes #1 contender and gets a championship match next week, loser descends to the #2 contender match next week.

#2 CONTENDER MATCH
ronaldx vs. PuzzleScot
Winner becomes #2 contender and gets a #1 contender match next week, loser descends to the relegation match next week.

RELEGATION MATCH
afcwarren vs. oenomel
Winner survives and gets a #2 contender match next week, loser relegated from the ladder and replaced by whoever's at the front of the waiting list.

Waiting list: dickoon

The championship match represents the third in their ongoing series; Tom took Steve's title in his first defence, but Steve took Tom to extra time in the rematch. This has already become one of my favourite respectful rivalries on the ladder! (Another nicely non-specific phrase, "one of"; I have a few...) All three of the other matches look fascinating as well.

As ever, if you know in advance that you won't be able to take part on any particular weekday, please speak up as far in advance as you can and book yourself one or two bye days. If anybody else wants to join the waiting list, please let me know. New starters are only four wins away from the top of the ladder!

detuned

Post by detuned » Sat 14 May, 2011 9:49 am

Ah, it all got a bit mad this week. I was going to say the short and sweet puzzles definitely seem to favour me over the seriously tough puzzles, although looking back at the results I suppose that with 4 "best of British" times I can't really claim that I've had a bad week. Well done Roderick for putting up such a good fight - especially compared to what happened last time round!

Steve...we meet again :twisted:
Last edited by detuned on Sat 14 May, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sat 14 May, 2011 10:56 am

We do indeed, Mr Collyer...

Fingers crossed for no Heyawakes this week...

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sat 14 May, 2011 11:51 am

drsteve wrote:Fingers crossed for no Heyawakes this week...
I suppose it ought to be possible to attempt to determine which sorts of puzzles might be coming in a week, or at least which ones might not be coming. The monthly league table vote determines which types of puzzles, and how many of each type, will be coming up in the following month. If Heyawake is in the top division (I can't remember!) but has come out of the top three, then we know that there will be two of them; if we've had two already then we know not to expect any more.

Berni, please could you suggest whether the order in which the puzzles are offered is random or whether it is determined by the results of the vote?

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sat 14 May, 2011 12:53 pm

dickoon wrote:
drsteve wrote:Fingers crossed for no Heyawakes this week...
I suppose it ought to be possible to attempt to determine which sorts of puzzles might be coming in a week, or at least which ones might not be coming. The monthly league table vote determines which types of puzzles, and how many of each type, will be coming up in the following month. If Heyawake is in the top division (I can't remember!) but has come out of the top three, then we know that there will be two of them; if we've had two already then we know not to expect any more.

Berni, please could you suggest whether the order in which the puzzles are offered is random or whether it is determined by the results of the vote?
To be honest, Chris, I think I'd prefer not to know - adds to the fun...

motris

Post by motris » Sun 15 May, 2011 7:13 am

While the vote determines which puzzles show up in the top tier in each month, the order is random. However, since the number is fixed it's easy to know when they are up. For example
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
No more doppelstern or Fillomino this month, but 2 lasers ahead :(
. In the lowest division I think it is fully random but with a 2 puzzle cap on any type. There is a suggestion of some rank preference based on past position, but no clear mathematical formula on how steep this is. Since Heyawake was relegated to the bottom division recently (where all my best types seem to go it seems), I have no idea when we will see it next. But it certainly has a reasonable chance of being tomorrow, since it is holding a 3rd place of 21 by vote rank from last month. So maybe 6-7% likelihood on any day with a moderate gradation of puzzle likelihoods.

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 15 May, 2011 8:29 am

Hah - it's just tweaked - I'm not sure how much point there is in my competing this week as I will be leaving for Beijing on Wednesday, and so will only be able to get 3 days of puzzling in. If I can get byes for Thursday and Friday this would be great, otherwise might I suggest that you slightly rejig the order of the matches Chris, starting with steve vs rodders and so on.

Given that I'll also almost certainly miss next Monday's set, and probably next Friday's and the Monday after that, I may as well pass the following week too, and re-enter wherever is appropriate in a couple of weeks, taking a bye for that Monday (I know that I can have at least 1 bye!). After a couple of really close matches I'd feel a bit bad having somewhat shortened championship matches.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sun 15 May, 2011 9:16 am

detuned wrote:Hah - it's just tweaked - I'm not sure how much point there is in my competing this week as I will be leaving for Beijing on Wednesday, and so will only be able to get 3 days of puzzling in. If I can get byes for Thursday and Friday this would be great, otherwise might I suggest that you slightly rejig the order of the matches Chris, starting with steve vs rodders and so on.

Given that I'll also almost certainly miss next Monday's set, and probably next Friday's and the Monday after that, I may as well pass the following week too, and re-enter wherever is appropriate in a couple of weeks, taking a bye for that Monday (I know that I can have at least 1 bye!). After a couple of really close matches I'd feel a bit bad having somewhat shortened championship matches.
One of the downsides of the fixed structure is that it gets a bit trickier for people to drop in and out, but I don't mind having shortened championship matches. If you don't mind, I will interpret your comment like so:

A request for a bye on Thursday and Friday this week (and - unless you can find Internet access within Beijing, an implicit concession should your match go to extra time);
A request for a bye on Monday and, provisionally, Friday next week;
A provisional request for a bye on the Monday after next.

Those are all OK, and probably work rather better than trying to take people out of the league and put them back in again when it's only going to be for a couple of weeks.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sun 15 May, 2011 9:41 am

I was wondering how we would deal with someone missing a week, with summer on the horizon.

To be honest though, a shortened match by more than one day does make it even more dependent on which puzzles turn up, and it feels like less of a result. This week, for example, Ronald missed three puzzles for whatever reason (he recorded a score of -15 for the sudoku, which I presume means started but didn't finish) and it felt a bit like it wasn't as good or as fair a contest by only doing six or seven puzzles. Personally I prefer Tom's suggestion of 2 v 3, 4 v 5, etc, give him a couple of weeks off to get his sudoku head in gear and reinstate him at, say, number 4ish in the ladder when he's back from China.

Besides, it means we get to play someone new for once.

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 15 May, 2011 9:47 am

Ok, well if Steve this week and then either rodders/puzzlemad or Ronald/Alan next don't have any overwhelming objections then this is fine...

I mention the temporary drop out as it would also give a nice little perturbation to the cycles of match-ups that have been developing. Even if that means me working up from the bottom of the ladder upon re-entry. (remembering that I had that initial advantage starting at the top anyway). I have no problems with doing this either, and it does mean that the ladder remains fully competitive.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 15 May, 2011 10:34 am

I was wondering how we would deal with someone missing a week, with summer on the horizon.
I had a week away at Easter, and was recorded as having lost all 5 matches, if that helps.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sun 15 May, 2011 1:19 pm

drsteve wrote:Personally I prefer Tom's suggestion of 2 v 3, 4 v 5, etc, give him a couple of weeks off to get his sudoku head in gear and reinstate him at, say, number 4ish in the ladder when he's back from China.

Besides, it means we get to play someone new for once.
I believe that people want to play in a league which publishes its rules and procedures in advance and sticks to them, so I want to run a league that operates that way, for the benefit of all players. Nevertheless, (a) I recognise that I cannot run a league without players who want to play in it, (b) I recognise that I don't have all the answers and that the league is better-run as a result of other people's input and (c) I recognise that I specifically left the issue of a champion being unable to defend their title slightly open in the original rules, with the remark that "I'm not opposed to having someone fall through the rankings and then working their way back up".

((ETA: I didn't say that last part as clearly as I could have done. What I said in the original ruleset was "If a long-term champion risks losing their championship only as a result of this rule then perhaps we could declare an interim championship like they do in boxing and come up with impromptu rules to cover the situation, but I'm not opposed to having someone fall through the rankings and then working their way back up."))

Steve, I don't fully understand your suggestion. I've been pretty deliberate not to define a clear #2, #3, #4 and so on, other than having two people meeting in a #1 contender match, two people meeting in a #2 contender match and so on. It's pretty clear that if you had to subdivide it further than that then #1 would be the defending champion and #2 would be the winner of the #1 contender match last time, but I find it tricky to say which of the two competitors in the #1 contender match should be #3. Lest we forget, the competitors in the #1 contender match are the defeated championship contender last time and the winner of the #2 contender match last time.

I'm certainly open to considering moving to a "1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 7v8 in odd-numbered weeks, 2v3, 4v5, 6v7 in even-numbered weeks" system, but I'm not going to do so this week, as I'd just like to see what happens when the league runs in its current system for a bit longer, especially with the benefit of players entering and leaving the league. I intended to take a look at the issue after week 13, on the grounds that we would have 10 weeks of ladder operation to offer data, which seems to be a more reasonable point to compare and contrast than doing it now on the basis of 4 weeks' worth of data. If it looks like the advantages exceed the disadvantages then I would have a definite week to determine individual placement numbers, rather than just "involved in this match" by way of placement, and proceed from there.

Steve, or anyone else, specifically how would you determine this week's matches without Tom being involved, how would you determine next week's matches and how would you reinsert Tom into the structure in the future?

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sun 15 May, 2011 1:46 pm

Chris, first of all, this is your league and feel free to ignore anything we say. You're doing a brilliant job and I know as Head of my department at school, when someone tries to change your well-laid plans, it can be very annoying.

Personally, so there are full matches going on this week, what I would do is play 2v3, 4v5, 6v7, 8v9. By those numbers, I would say Tom is 1, I am 2, 3 is rodders, 4 is puzzlemad, etc down to Nick at 9. Now I'm writing this, though, I realise the problems with what happens to the winners and losers and that would be the effect of basically hitting the ladder with a big hammer. So ignore this, as I clearly hadn't thought it through completely.

I am wary of doing effectively a three day match, but as I can't think of anything else (apart from having an automatic four points for Thursday and Friday :D) that's still the best plan.

May I suggest though, that if it's tied, we agree now to take the best times without a play-off as Tom won't be around for it?

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sun 15 May, 2011 4:53 pm

Thanks, Steve! Much appreciated.
drsteve wrote:May I suggest though, that if it's tied, we agree now to take the best times without a play-off as Tom won't be around for it?
*thumbs up* Sporting of you!

The issue of whole weeks off is a tricky one. If two people could agree it in advance, it would be possible for one person to propose two of the five days as byes and their opponent to propose two of the remaining three days as byes, reducing the match to being conducted on a single day. Far from ideal, but better than nothing. Other than that, I'm still broadly happy with the concept of people sinking a little due to taking weeks off, not least because it ought largely to even itself out over time.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sun 15 May, 2011 5:13 pm

Incidentally; I've recently been introduced to LearnedLeague, an online trivia league. It's not puzzle-related, otherwise I would have put it in the Puzzle Links section, though it's interesting because it uses a similar head-to-head match structure to the croco-puzzle UK ladder. A big difference is that it uses a series of discrete, fininte seasons rather than this infinite rolling week-by-week ladder format. I mention it not just because it's interesting but also because they have quite a hardcore approach to missing matches, let alone missing parts of matches. Admittedly the daily involvement required at LL probably equates to a slightly lighter than average day at croco-puzzle, but not a "two 90-second puzzles" day. (I was introduced to it by another US croco-puzzle player; take a bow, Pfire, if you're reading...)

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Fri 20 May, 2011 10:29 pm

Another week, another extra time!

This time, the match that I reckon has finished 5-5 is the #2 contender match between ronaldx and PuzzleScot. Good luck, gentlemen! I hope you are both happy and well. It's all down to tomorrow.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sat 21 May, 2011 12:05 am

Should have waited until I was sober, but have no time tomorrow. Did both puzzles twice and picked up a FVS on the way. Pah.
Nice of Ronald not to turn up yesterday to take it to the wire. Well done Ronald - I know you were only teasing with me...

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sat 21 May, 2011 10:16 am

Here are the results of the eighth week of the UK croco-puzzle ladder:

| detuned   drsteve | rodders   puzzlemad | ronaldx   PuzzleScot | afcwarren   oenomel |
Monday        |                   |                     |                      |                     |
Rundweg       | 01:49     01:39   | 03:31     02:39     | 01:50     01:23      | 03:23       02:05   |
Hashi         | 01:34     01:55   | 06:10     05:25     | 02:58     02:20      | 01:59       02:57   |
Tuesday       |                   |                     |                      |                     |
Tapa          | 13:04     05:20   | 06:54     06:28     | 05:48     13:12      | 13:02       05:40   |
Zeltlager     | 13:04     04:05   | 08:29     09:20     | 04:52     03:56      | 24:09       04:26   |
Wednesday     |                   |                     |                      |                     |
Laser         | 10:49     08:24   | 33:38     33:27     | 15:48     29:37      | 9999:59     17:38   |
Hitori        | 05:12     10:37   | 07:18     11:50     | 03:28     10:38      | 9999:59     04:51   |
Thursday      |                   |                     |                      |                     |
Kakuro        | ----------------- | 17:39     934:44    | 24:09     28:25      | 9999:59     21:15   |
Sudoku        | ----------------- | 12:20     26:19     | 06:43     16:06      | 9999:59     05:36   |
Friday        |                   |                     |                      |                     |
Tapa          | ----------------- | 03:43     13:53     | 9999:59   03:15      | 9999:59     01:53   |
Gebietssummen | ----------------- | 00:52     02:25     | 9999:59   08:58      | 9999:59     01:22   |
FINAL SCORE   | 2         4       | 6         4         | 5         5          | 1           9       |
detuned 2 drsteve 4
rodders 6 puzzlemad 4
ronaldx 5 PuzzleScot 5
afcwarren 1 oenomel 9

Thus the ronaldx - PuzzleScot match went into extra time, as follows:

| ronaldx   PuzzleScot |
Saturday          |                      |
Masyu             | 03:37     09:08      |
Zeitlager         | 03:07     05:26      |
FINAL SCORE       | 2         0          |
Congratulations to our winners, especially to Steve on regaining the championship! Commiserations to Tom, whose unusual pair of matching times on Tuesday cost him his title. At the other end of the table, afcwarren is relegated from the ladder. Thanks for playiing, Warren; you're most welcome to rejoin any time, and unless you say otherwise I'll put you on the waiting list to join again.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sat 21 May, 2011 10:23 am

The ninth week's matches are as follows:

CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
drsteve (C) vs. rodders
Winner becomes (or remains) champion and defends the championship next week, loser descends to the #1 contender match next week.

#1 CONTENDER MATCH
detuned vs. ronaldx (NB bye days already booked by detuned for Monday and Friday)
Winner becomes #1 contender and gets a championship match next week, loser descends to the #2 contender match next week.

#2 CONTENDER MATCH
puzzlemad vs. oenomel
Winner becomes #2 contender and gets a #1 contender match next week, loser descends to the relegation match next week.

RELEGATION MATCH
PuzzleScot vs. dickoon
Winner survives and gets a #2 contender match next week, loser relegated from the ladder and replaced by whoever's at the front of the waiting list.

Waiting list: afcwarren (unless otherwise stated)

The championship match is a rematch of the one that started it all off back in week three. That one finished 7-3 and rodders has come very close since then, so anything is possible. I believe the next two matches are new to the ladder, and look very interesting; the relegation match will, I imagine, be the one that we should have had in week seven.

As ever, if you know in advance that you won't be able to take part on any particular weekday, please speak up as far in advance as you can and book yourself one or two bye days. If anybody else wants to join the waiting list, please let me know. New starters are only four wins away from the top of the ladder!

afcwarren

Post by afcwarren » Tue 24 May, 2011 12:52 pm

I don't mind at all being on the waiting list. I normally do the puzzles at work and have had quite a few days off recently and didn't want to ask for too many bye days. Just so happens that the week I'm out, I have a really decent time on one puzzle!

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 24 May, 2011 1:55 pm

Great time Warren! I thought my 34s solve was reasonably quick, but wasn't surprised to see sub-20s times posted.
However, I wasn't expecting to see it look positively amateurish by an 11s solve from Jakub! Good grief.

nickdeller

Post by nickdeller » Tue 24 May, 2011 2:31 pm

As a matter of interest Chris, if and when a 10th person joins the ladder. will you have a two-person waiting list or will you add a #3 contender match to the fixture roster so that everyone gets to play?

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Tue 24 May, 2011 8:42 pm

nickdeller wrote:As a matter of interest Chris, if and when a 10th person joins the ladder. will you have a two-person waiting list or will you add a #3 contender match to the fixture roster so that everyone gets to play?
I should be so lucky! :-D

Erm, I'm inclined towards the waiting list but open to arguments either way. As someone who has been relegated before and is in distinct danger of relegation again, even this week, I think having a waiting list and making relegation be a reasonably big threat is a good thing. It makes the relegation match more interesting - and, by extension, the #2 contender match more interesting as people strive to avoid the relegation match. See, I am a bit biased against #3 contender matches between the #2 contender matches and the relegation matches because it starts to make things a bit meaningless; with championship, #1, #2, relegation, then you're always at most one step away from either the top or the bottom rather than in meandering-up-and-down-the-numbered-contender-list limbo. Also, having a waiting list makes things easier if people ever want to drop out of the ladder.

On the other hand, I want to keep participation in the ladder accessible to those of more modest talents, speaking firmly for myself, and in the fullness of time if there is the demand then it would be no fun whatsoever not to expand the ladder so that we, er, lesser lights cannot enjoy evenly-matched competition against each other and find our own level. I'm also happy to remove myself from the waiting list if there is a perception that my participation is stopping others from getting to the fun part where they get to play matches, because I'm enjoying running the league - but I also enjoy playing, and I think it's important that I get to feel what the league is like to play in, as well as running it. I don't think having a waiting list of a couple of weeks, or maybe even a month, is unreasonable.

Some day a UK croco-puzzle superstar will appear from nowhere, join the ladder at the bottom and climb it very quickly indeed. If in 2013 a 20th kyu ends up beating, say, a 3rd dan for the UK croco-puzzle ladder championship then I will be tickled pink... and they'll have, almost certainly, well and truly deserved it.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Thu 26 May, 2011 4:26 pm

Chris

I think I've retained the championship this week, but just to let you know that I will be away from Croc'ing for all of next week. Don't know what you want to do about that, apart from presumably granting the challenger a walkover.

Steve