Croco Puzzle rules.

Rules and Tips for standard puzzle types, and their variants

Re: Croco Puzzle rules.

Postby PuzzleScot » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 12:16 pm

Berni,

These translations are public, and for the benefit of all puzzlers, so feel free to use as you wish. A reference to the UKPA somewhere would be nice, but by no means essential.
Note that these were intended as a direct translation to English of the croco-puzzle instructions, rather than as a de-facto English version of standard puzzle instructions. That project seemed to fall by the wayside, so your puzzlewiki might well be the best place to resurrect that task as and when puzzlers have the inclination to do so.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Postby berni » Mon 30 May, 2011 3:15 pm

The masyu interface has changed, as well as the description.
berni

Postby PuzzleScot » Mon 30 May, 2011 5:12 pm

Updated. It takes a little getting used to, but is far more intuitive to use, both with mouse and keyboard! Good work.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Postby motris » Mon 30 May, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks very much for the improved Masyu interface. It's now exactly where I want it as a solver, and I'm comfortable again voting for Masyu on the Ligasystem after some months where that type was much less friendly.
motris

Postby nickdeller » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 11:13 am

New puzzle type, I think, as this weeks Preisraetsel...

STATIONS: Draw a closed circuit in the grid. The path will connect the centres of adjacent cells, and run only horizontally and vertically. It must cross itself only in the marked locations, and use every other cell exactly once. The railway stations (represented by the numbers) must be visited in ascending order, and the path must go straight through all station cells.

Probably needs a little bit of a tidy to get it into "house style", but this is a starting point. I've not attempted to translate the interface instructions as I'm short of time!
nickdeller

Postby uvo » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 12:38 pm

Without translating (or even reading) the instructions, I would say the interface works exactly as the new Masyu.
uvo

Postby nickdeller » Mon 07 May, 2012 1:33 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:ABC-Box (example)

Instructions:

Write one of the specified letters in each cell of the diagram.
The letters by the grid indicate the sequence that the letters
appear in that row or column, in the correct order.
The same letter appearing consecutively will only be specified once.
A question mark in the given sequence indicates an unknown letter

Mouse Controls:
The first click enters the letter A in the cell. subsequent clicks
display subsequent letters. After the last letter is reached,
another click will delete the box contents.
A click in the lower right corner of the cell starts the expert mode
for this cell only. In expert mode, you can toggle each letter one at a time
on and off. Clicking again in the lower right corner closes expert mode.

Keyboard Controls:
Letter keys: Enters the relevant letter in the highlighted cell
Space: delete cell contents
#: toggle between the expert mode and normal mode.
In expert mode, you can individually toggle each letter with the letter keys

It appears from this weeks Preisratsel that the updated applets have given this a new twist, as follows:

Write one of the specified letters in each cell of the diagram.
The letters by the grid indicate the sequence that the letters
appear in that row or column, in the correct order.
The same letter appearing consecutively will only be specified once.
A question mark or a number in the given sequence indicates an unknown letter; a number indicates that the unknown letter will fill that number of consecutive squares.
nickdeller

Postby PuzzleScot » Mon 07 May, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks Nick. Original instructions updated.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Postby driv4r » Tue 15 May, 2012 2:33 am

Koralle and Bahnhöfe are missing from the list apparently...
"Stupid is as stupid does." -- Forrest Gump
driv4r

Postby sknight » Tue 15 May, 2012 10:20 am

Those are recent additions to the puzzle roster. As long as Bahnhofe is up today, here's that one:

Bahnhofe (Train Stations) (example)

Draw a closed, connected loop in the grid. The path travels horizontally and vertically from the center of one square to the next.
The path crosses itself at the marked intersections (crosses), and only at these crosses. It visits every other square exactly once.
The train stations (indicated by numbers) must be passed through in strict numerical order. The path is not allowed to turn at a station, but must continue straight through the station's square.

Mouse commands:
Click and drag from one square to the next, and a line is drawn connecting the squares.
Doing this again will replace the line with an "x", indicating that there is no possible path connecting the squares.
Repeating again will erase all marks between the squares.

Keyboard commands:
Move the cursor while holding the SHIFT key to draw a line between two squares.
Doing this again will replace the line with an "x", indicating that there is no possible path connecting the squares.
Repeating again will erase all marks between the squares.
sknight

Postby PuzzleScot » Tue 15 May, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks. Added to the index.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Postby sknight » Tue 15 May, 2012 6:39 pm

Koralle (Coral) (example)

Draw a piece of Coral in the diagram. The coral will be represented by shaded boxes in the diagram (each box is either completely filled or not at all). The Coral must be contiguous (all shaded squares connected to each other along the edges), must not completely fill any 2x2 block, and must not touch itself even diagonally. In other words, the outline of the coral should form a single closed loop which does not enclose any 2x2 squares.

The numbers around the border give the lengths of consecutive blocks of coral in a given row or column, though not necessarily in the order in which they occur. Between any two blocks there must be at least one blank square.

Mouse comands:
Click once: shades the square black (coral)
Click again: marks square with an X (indicating a square that must be unshaded)
Click again: resets the square to blank.

Keyboard commands:
#, *, or Q: shades the square black (coral)
-,/, or W marks square with an X (indicating a square that must be unshaded)
spacebar: resets the square to blank.
sknight

Postby driv4r » Wed 30 May, 2012 12:15 am

I would add to Japanese Sums that you don't need to enter all the numbers available into every column/row, i.e. if you have numbers 1-7, you don't necessarily need to use all of them in a column/row.
driv4r

Postby PuzzleScot » Wed 30 May, 2012 10:52 am

@driv4r - The original translation is correct and complete.
You are welcome to discuss the interpretation of the rules, or even solving tips (preferably in a new puzzle specific thread), but these will not be updated to the main translation article.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Postby driv4r » Wed 30 May, 2012 11:46 pm

Hmm, okay, but for me they defo aren't complete as the above is not mentioned in those rules, which meant I thought I have to use all 7 numbers in a column/row at first when I started to solve yesterday's Japanese Sums on CrocoPuzzle. Obviously, that was wrong, so I spent significantly more time than I would have if I knew it in the first place...
driv4r

Postby PuzzleScot » Thu 31 May, 2012 12:03 am

This thread is the English translation of the rules as given on croco - nothing added, nothing removed. Therefore, how you interpret them is up to you.
For example, case in point (Japanese sums):
Blacken some cells in the diagram, and fill in the remaining cells with digits from the given range (indicated by 'Zahlen von 1 bis (max)').
The numbers beside and above the grid indicate, in the correct order, the sum of consecutive blocks of digits, appearing in unblackened cells, in the respective row or column. A block may be just one single digit.
No digit may appear more than once in each row or column.
This is a correct translation, and also a correct way of stating the rules.
If all digits from the given range were to be used, it would probably say so.
It also says in the 2nd sentence that all groups of digits (1 or more) in that row/col are given.
Therefore, for a range 1-7, if the clue numbers don't sum to 28 ( n(n+1)/2, btw ), some aren't used!

Reading and understanding the rules is an important part of puzzling. If in doubt, work through an example (at least one is provided in these pages for every puzzle type), and if still in doubt, ask. I suggest you work through Doppelblock next, as it's easily confused with Japanese sums. 8-)
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Postby driv4r » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 2:12 am

If I don't know the numbers I need to enter then there are various options e.g. I could use 3 numbers (1+2+3) to make up 6 but I could also use 2 (4+2 or 5+1). That's why I would have saved a considerable amount of time if I knew that I didn't have to use all of them (the point is I tried to use all 7 until I realized it's not possible to do it like that, so the rules surely weren't clear enough for me). But if they are official rules then you probably can't add anything to them, so there's nothing to do.

But I had even worse problems with ABCD-rätsel of 1st of June. The problem was that the rules stated the following:

"This puzzle is sometimes published with an extra constraint - "Diagonal berühren verboten".
In this case, no two cells touching diagonally can contain the same letter.

When this extra condition is NOT in force, it will normally say "Diagonal berühren erlaubt"."

But on the initializing screen (the one where you click Initialize or sth) it said "Diagonal nicht berühren erlaubt" or "Diagonal nicht berühren" or sth like that. Well, it defo had nicht in it, so it wasn't same as those in the rules and I thought that cells can touch diagonally (I assumed nicht means NO, so the diagonals not touching condition is NOT used). But as I found out after solving it for ~3 hours they actually couldn't have touched. And actually it said "Diagonal berühren verboten" under the puzzle itself but I was focused on solving and somehow didn't pay any attention to it before. Anyway, it meant that I got my first unsolved puzzle, so it was really annoying :x
So, it would be good if the text on the initializing screen would be properly mentioned in the rules and also that this text "Diagonal berühren verboten" is under the puzzle.
driv4r

Postby PuzzleScot » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 8:38 am

The applets have been updated recently. Occasionally rules are updated (slightly), or even new puzzles added. If anyone notices anything significant, we'll update the translations here.
Since the host site is in the German language, a tiny smattering of (puzzle-related) German knowledge would be useful, though not essential. 20-50 words are more than enough, which you should be able to deduce yourself from the original and the translations provided.
eg, Clearly, erlaubt = allowed. verboten = forbidden. berühren = touching. "nicht .. verboten" = ".. erlaubt", just like in English.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Postby driv4r » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 12:28 am

Oh, so it probably said sth like "Diagonal berühren nicht erlaubt" on the initializing screen, which as I now understand means "Touching diagonals not allowed". LoL, I guess I gotta try to remember a couple of words like verboten, erlaubt and berühren then! :D And use Google Translate when possible. If I were the webmaster/admin of the CrocoPuzzle site I'd defo make an English version of it as well, I'm sure it would get (even) more popular! ;)
The thing is that I've never learned any German at school, so I only know words like Danke, seize (misspelled), allo and a couple of others. (I chose to learn English and Russian as foreign languages, though I could have learned German instead of one of them.)
driv4r

Postby driv4r » Sat 16 Jun, 2012 11:21 am

sknight wrote:Masyu (example)

Instructions: Draw a single loop, traveling horizontally and vertically, connecting the centers of the cells. The loop must pass through every cell containing a circle ("pearl"). At each cell containing a black pearl, the loop must make a 90-degree turn, and must travel straight for at least two squares on either side of the pearl. At each cell containing a white pearl, the loop must pass straight through the pearl, and must make a 90-degree turn in at least one of the cells immediately before or after the pearl.

Mouse Controls: (from 30 May 2011)
With the mouse button pressed, drag between adjacent cells to draw lines.

Clicking on a cell border once draws a line across that border. Clicking again draws an X to indicate that there cannot be a line across that border. Clicking a third time will erase any marks on that border.
Alternatively, you may drag the mouse between cells to draw a line continuously.

Keyboard controls: (from 30 May 2011)
Move the cursor while holding the SHIFT key to draw a line between adjacent cells.
Repeat the process over a drawn line to replace it with a cross, and repeat this process again to clear all marks between the 2 cells.

#, *, and Q keys draw a line on the highlighted border.
/ and W keys draw an X on the highlighted border.
Spacebar clears the highlighted border.
Escape toggles between a horizontal and vertical cursor.

No, on both sides of the pearl! I made mistakes because of that.
driv4r

Postby Mephisto » Sat 16 Jun, 2012 2:00 pm

"must travel straight for at least two squares on either side of the pearl" -- NO! The loop must travel straight through only one square (the second) on either side, it turns in the first square with the black pearl and it may turn in the third square.
Last edited by Mephisto on Sat 16 Jun, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mephisto

Postby PuzzleScot » Sat 16 Jun, 2012 2:08 pm

Hmm. I can see how you misunderstood that. Changing 'either' to 'both' might help clarify for future reference, so I will update it. Thanks.

FYI, "each" and "both" are listed as synonyms of "either" (wiktionary), which can be confusing.
Usually, if not always(?), the singular version uses "or" later in the sentence.

[edit:] I see the original German text has been updated, so I will update the English version later. It now says (more clearly) that in both directions, the line cannot turn in the adjacent cell of a black 'pearl'.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Postby driv4r » Sat 16 Jun, 2012 4:42 pm

That would be good! I got 7 fehlversuch's mainly due to this inaccuracy as I did it all wrong (I thought it could be the other way around but it was 50-50, so I went for the one that seemed more obvious reading the rules). Before today I had only had 2 of them altogether in all puzzles I had solved.
driv4r

Postby sknight » Sun 17 Jun, 2012 5:02 pm

Rules for Doppelblock should be updated to include remorse and heavy drinking. :x
sknight

Postby driv4r » Mon 08 Oct, 2012 11:17 pm

Hmm, rules for Islands, anyone? :? Never seen it before...
driv4r

PreviousNext

Return to Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips