Croco Puzzle rules.

Rules and Tips for standard puzzle types, and their variants
nickdeller

Re: Croco Puzzle rules.

Post by nickdeller » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 1:57 am

driv4r wrote:Hmm, rules for Islands, anyone? :? Never seen it before...
Bit rough and ready and it'll need tidying up, but:

Islands (aka Nurikabe)

Paint some cells black (the sea) leaving some cells white (the islands).
Each given number is part of an island. Each island contains exactly one number, which is the number of squares forming that island. Two different islands cannot connect by an edge, but they may touch at a point.
The black squares form a single group of cells connected by edges. There cannot be a 2x2 region which is entirely black.
Croco keyboard shortcuts: Q or # paints black, W or - paints white.

There's been a Preisratsel already for this type, so I'd recommend trying that first before doing the U-Ratsel.
Last edited by nickdeller on Tue 09 Oct, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sknight

Post by sknight » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 1:39 pm

I think Q and W are also valid shortcuts (I think W = island for Weiss but I don't really remember for sure), and are easier to use on many keyboards.
It might be good to make it clear that the black cells connect along edges (orthogonally) -- seems like there's always somebody who wonders if touching corners counts on that sort of thing (even though it basically never does).

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 7:42 pm

Also, in nickdeller's post above it's said that Q is for both white and black squares, which can't be possible.
"Stupid is as stupid does." -- Forrest Gump

nickdeller

Post by nickdeller » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 10:43 pm

driv4r wrote:Also, in nickdeller's post above it's said that Q is for both white and black squares, which can't be possible.
Sorry, my error. Corrected now!

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 9:46 pm

OK, so now the rules are perfect but still it's not included among other puzzles in the opening post, darn it :!:
"Stupid is as stupid does." -- Forrest Gump

Janix

Post by Janix » Fri 09 Nov, 2012 11:37 am

Removing last post from board

Goodbye and Good Riddance

sknight

Post by sknight » Mon 24 Dec, 2012 4:43 pm

In honour of its appearance as this weeks Preisraetsel:

Pentominosuche (Pentomino Hunt) example
Place the given pentominos in the diagram so that they do not touch, not even diagonally.
The numbers outside the puzzle give the number of cells occupied by a pentomino in that row or column.

Controls:
Clicking with the mouse cycles through 1) black cell (part of a pentomino), 2) white cell (marked with an x), 3) blank
#, ^, or Q: Marks cell as black
-, /, or W: Marks cell as white
spacebar: clears contents of a cell

(Note: I don't think the German instructions currently specify anything about rotations and reflections of pentominos. I think both are allowed)
[Admin edit] Rotations and reflections are allowed.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 25 Dec, 2012 10:35 am

sknight wrote:(Note: I don't think the German instructions currently specify anything about rotations and reflections of pentominos. I think both are allowed)
I solved it presuming rotations were allowed, but not reflections, so perhaps that is the rule?

ashar

Post by ashar » Tue 25 Dec, 2012 3:37 pm

sknight wrote:(Note: I don't think the German instructions currently specify anything about rotations and reflections of pentominos. I think both are allowed)
I noticed that the example shown in the instructions includes both rotations and a reflection, so looks like you're right about that.

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Tue 25 Dec, 2012 11:43 pm

Perhaps some of the puzzles will have "Reflexionen nicht erlaubt" with the puzzle size info. Same as ABCD-puzzle has no diagonal touching sometimes.

berni

Post by berni » Thu 27 Dec, 2012 9:54 am

Sorry, this was a mistake. Now an other sentence is added to the instructions: Rotations and reflections are allowed. And this will not change in the future, because I dislike puzzles where one or the other is not allowed. ;)

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Wed 15 May, 2013 3:43 pm

"Höhle" (Tunnels) (lit.'Cave') example

Blacken some cells to form a cave system, which should have the following properties:
All cells of the cave (the white cells, including numbered cells) form one contiguous area.
All walls (black cells) are connected to the outer edge of the graph, that is, your wall mass, which completely encloses the white cells.
There are no white 2x2 areas.
Number cells can not be blackened.
Numbers indicates the total number of cells of the cave, including the numbered cell itself, which can be seen horizontally or vertically, from that cell.

sknight

Post by sknight » Wed 15 May, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm not sure we should be calling this puzzle "Cave", even though that's what the German Hoehle translates to.
It's not quite the same as the usual Corral/Cave/Bag puzzle, because of the 2x2 block restriction, and I think
because it's nearly identical to the puzzle that often gets called "Cave" in English, there might be confusion.
Something like "Corridors" or "Hallways" might be good, given the way the solutions look compared to the other puzzle.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Wed 15 May, 2013 5:56 pm

sknight wrote:I'm not sure we should be calling this puzzle "Cave"
You'll note that's the title they use as the German word for this puzzle. (See current [May 2013]) Preisratsel.
The English translation of "Cave" is, as best as I can figure "cave", though I agree it is more like a 'Corridors' puzzle...

berni

Post by berni » Wed 15 May, 2013 7:00 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:
sknight wrote:I'm not sure we should be calling this puzzle "Cave"
You'll note that's the title they use as the German word for this puzzle. (See current [May 2013]) Preisratsel.
Unfortunately this is a mistake. It should read "Höhle", but I don't want to change the applet while the leaque is running. Sorry, for confusion.

PS: When I first came across the "cave" puzzle it was with this 2x2-rule, and as I like this rule, I decided to keep it, even although I now know it's normally omitted.

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Wed 15 May, 2013 10:23 pm

I agree that we should not call this Cave, so we don't confuse beginners that might be aware of one type.
Google translate (http://translate.google.com/#de/en/H%C3%B6hle) gives 12 possible translations, and the other 11 are not already used.
"Cavity" is the closest translation, and obviously indicates a link to the 'Cave' puzzles as well. Will that be ok for now?
"Hollow" or "Hole" match the German word closely. In fact I also see nothing wrong with using "Hoehle" (we use enough Japanese names already) if we didn't have a better option.

PS Roland Voigt invented a Corridors type earlier this year, but I'd think "Tunnels" better keeps to the underground theme.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Wed 15 May, 2013 10:42 pm

FYI, there was another, temporarily common, type called corridors some years ago. However, with no 2x2 'caverns', 'tunnels' seems quite apt. Done.

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Sun 20 Apr, 2014 11:15 pm

With the CrocoMarathon showcasing the 40 applets currently used, I followed the link from there to this thread and noticed our collection contains only 38 translations. Haus-Baum-Tier and Yajilin are missing.