Croco Puzzle rules.

Rules and Tips for standard puzzle types, and their variants
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Croco Puzzle rules.

Post by PuzzleScot »

Berni has kindly given me the full rules for all the applets used on the croco-puzzle site.

update 25/4/11: The intial translation appears to be complete now! Thanks to everyone who has contributed 8-)
A little consistency just needs to be applied throughout, though there are more important issues to attend to right now.
If more puzzle types appear, or there are phrases appearing that might be useful to have translated, post them here, and someone will translate.

Croco-puzzle Applet general usage instructions, and überraschungsrätsel instructions

"ABC-Box" (ABC-Box)
"ABCD-Rätsel" (ABCD puzzle)
"Arukone" (Arukone/Numberlink)
"Bahnhofe" (Railway Stations)
"Buchstabensalat" (Easy as ABC)
"Dominosuche" (Dominoes)
"Doppelblock" (Double Block)
"Doppelstern" (Star Battle)
"Fillomino" (Fillomino)
"Gebietssummen" (Area Sums)
"Hashi/Hashiwokakero" (Hashi/Bridges)
"Heyawake" (Heyawake)
"Hitori" (Hitori)
"Höhle" (Tunnels)
"Hochhäuser" (Skyscrapers)
"Inseln" (Islands)
"Japanische Summen" (Japanese Sums)
"Kakuro" (Kakuro)
"Killersudoku" (Killer Sudoku)
"Koralle" (Coral)
"Kropki" (Kropki)
"Laserrätsel" (Lasers)
"Magisches Labyrinth" (Magic Labyrinth)
"Magnetplatten" (Magnets)
"Masyu" (Masyu)
"Pentominosuche" (Pentomino Hunt)
"Pillenrätsel" (Pills)
"Pyramidenrätsel" (Number Pyramid)
"Rundwegrätsel" (Fences)
"Schlangenrätsel" (Snake)
"Slalom" (Slalom)
"Sternenhimmel" (Starry Night)
"Sudoku" (Irregular Sudoku)
"Tapa" (Tapa)
"Thermometer" (Thermometer)
"U-Bahn" (Subway Map)
"Vergleichssudoku" (Inequality Sudoku)
"Zeltlager" (Tents/Campsite)
Attachments
Instructions-German.txt
Croco-puzzle applet instructions in German.
(50.21 KiB) Downloaded 11239 times
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Re: Croco Puzzle rules.

Post by PuzzleScot »

ABC-Box (example)

Instructions:

Write one of the specified letters in each cell of the diagram.
The letters by the grid indicate the sequence that the letters
appear in that row or column, in the correct order.
The same letter appearing consecutively will only be specified once.
A question mark in the given sequence indicates an unknown letter
A question mark or a number in the given sequence indicates an unknown letter; a number indicates that the unknown letter will fill that number of consecutive squares. (updated 7/5/2012)

Mouse Controls:
The first click enters the letter A in the cell. subsequent clicks
display subsequent letters. After the last letter is reached,
another click will delete the box contents.
A click in the lower right corner of the cell starts the expert mode
for this cell only. In expert mode, you can toggle each letter one at a time
on and off. Clicking again in the lower right corner closes expert mode.

Keyboard Controls:
Letter keys: Enters the relevant letter in the highlighted cell
Space: delete cell contents
#: toggle between the expert mode and normal mode.
In expert mode, you can individually toggle each letter with the letter keys
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

Zeltlager (Tents, Tents and Trees, Campsite) (example)

Instructions

For each tree, draw a tent that is either vertically or horizontally adjacent to that tree. The tents should not touch each other, even diagonally. The numbers at the edge of the grid indicate how many tents are in that row or column.

Mouse Controls

1. Click: Tent
2. Click: Empty field (marked by a minus)
3. Click: Delete Field Content
In a field with a tree, the first click leads to a cross and the second deletes it again.

Keyboard Controls:

#, *, and Q: Tent
-, / and W: Empty Field (marked by a minus)
Space Bar: Delete Field Contents

In a field with a tree Q, # and * lead to a cross and the space bar deletes this.
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

Vergleichssudoku (Inequality Sudoku) (example)

Instructions

Enter the numbers as indicated into the diagram so that in every row, every column and every outlined area, each number appears exactly once.

The less-than symbol, “<”, between two cells specifies in which of the two cells is the smaller number.

Mouse Controls:

The first click in a cell places a 1. Every other click leads to the next digit. If you have already reached the last digit, another click empties the cell.

A click in the lower right corner of the cell starts the expert mode for that cell. In expert mode, you can enter possible digits as you would in a pencil and paper puzzle. Another click in the lower right corner ended the expert mode.

Keyboard Controls:

Numeric keys: Enter the corresponding number in the cell
Minus button: Enables a range of values to be entered, e.g. 2-5. Typing again in that cell removes this.
#: Switch back and forth between the expert mode and normal mode.

In expert mode, you can enter numbers with the numeric keys and remove them by pressing that key again.
sknight

Post by sknight »

Doppelblock (Double Block) (example)

Rules:
Shade in some of the cells and place numbers in all the remaining cells. Do this in such a way that exactly two cells are shaded in each row and each column, and each number appears exactly once in each row and each column. The numbers on the outside of the puzzle indicate the sum of the numbers between the two shaded cells in that particular row or column.

Controls:
The first click on an empty square places a circle in that square, which indicates the presence of some unknown digit in that square.
The next click changes the circle to a block (shaded cell). Subsequent clicks cycle through the numbers from 1 to the maximum digit, after which the cell is cleared.
Clicking in the lower right hand corner of a cell turns on expert mode for that cell. In expert mode, individual numbers can be toggled on and off by typing that digit. Clicking again switches to normal mode. Expert mode may also be toggled with the # button.
In normal mode, typing a number enters that digit in the cell. You may also enter a range of digits, such as "2 - 3".
Typing an O or "enter" places a circle. Typing a B, S or X places a block.
The Space Bar deletes the contents of a cell.
transkrautor

Post by transkrautor »

Dear UK puzzlers,

may I offer my help with this translation project? You may want to say no because I am not a native English speaker - and you would be right because a translator should really translate into his native language only. Still, I believe that I produce better output that Google Translate, Babelfish, freetranslation.com or any of the other public machine translation engines that I know of. And I do have access to CAT software that will fill in all those annoying repetitions automatically (if I manage to convert the input document into a format that the CAT software can handle...).

I am suggesting this because I am currently also trying to translate parts of the German puzzle association's web site into English, and I would benefit from you proof-reading my - occasionally rather clumsy - English. Actually the little puzzle name glossary in the first topic is already very useful for me because it contains some puzzle names that differ from what is in http://wiki.logic-masters.de. I am quite sure that there is no worldwide standard puzzle terminology, but I would like my translations to be as consistent with established terminology as possible.

Cheers
Jens
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

U-Bahn (Subway Map) (example)

Instructions:
Draw in the plan of a connected plan of a railway track that extends horizontally and vertically from and to the centres of cells, without leaving the grid. At the cell centres, the lines turn or branch out, but there are no dead ends. The numbers on the grid indicate how many of each of the possible junctions occurs in the corresponding row or column. These possibilities may be rotated.

Mouse Controls:
1. Click: Insert track (black)
2. Click: Mark as “no track” (gray)
3. Click: Delete black or gray mark (white)

Keyboard Controls:

#, *, and Q: Insert track (black)
-, / and W: Mark as “no track” (gray)
Space: Delete black or gray mark (white)
Escape: Switch between horizontal and vertical cursor.
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

transkrautor wrote:Dear UK puzzlers,

may I offer my help with this translation project? You may want to say no because I am not a native English speaker - and you would be right because a translator should really translate into his native language only. Still, I believe that I produce better output that Google Translate, Babelfish, freetranslation.com or any of the other public machine translation engines that I know of. And I do have access to CAT software that will fill in all those annoying repetitions automatically (if I manage to convert the input document into a format that the CAT software can handle...).

I am suggesting this because I am currently also trying to translate parts of the German puzzle association's web site into English, and I would benefit from you proof-reading my - occasionally rather clumsy - English. Actually the little puzzle name glossary in the first topic is already very useful for me because it contains some puzzle names that differ from what is in http://wiki.logic-masters.de. I am quite sure that there is no worldwide standard puzzle terminology, but I would like my translations to be as consistent with established terminology as possible.

Cheers
Jens
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that you're more than welcome to help out. The more the merrier (and the less work for everybody!)

Just to clarify, I'm (amd presumably the rest of us) only using Google Translate as a start point. Their direct translations are sometimes harder to understand than the German version!
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

Thermometer (example)

Instructions:

Fill in all, some or none of each thermometer in such a way that the numbers outside the grid indicate how many cells are filled in the corresponding row or column. Each thermometer is filled from the bulb upwards – you may not have empty cells between two filled cells in any thermometer.

Mouse Controls:

1. Click: Fill cell in thermometer
2. Click: Mark cell in thermometer as empty (X)
3. Click: Delete cell content

Alternatively, you can also drag the mouse over several cells, resulting in all of these cells being filled.

Keyboard Controls:

#, *, and Q: Fill cell in thermometer
-, / and W: Mark cell in thermometer as empty (X)
Space: Delete cell content
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

Just a thought to save re-jigging things later - shall we agree to use the term "cell", rather than box or Google Translate's favourite of field.

Everyone so far has done this, so can I suggest that anyone else who joins in does the same? It'll save Alan retyping bits later
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

Tapa (example)

Instructions:

Blacken some cells in the grid so that all black cells are connected horizontally or vertically and no 2x2 group of cells is completely blackened. Cells marked with numbers cannot be blackened.

The numbers in the cells indicate the lengths of the sequences of black squares surrounding that cell. If there is more than one number, the sequences must be separated by at least one empty cell. The order of the clues does not necessarily represent the order of the sequences.

For a correct solution, only the black cells are relevant. The white cells may be marked with a cross or be left empty.

Note: This puzzle was invented by Serkan Yurekli.

Mouse Controls:

1. Click: Mark cell as black
2. Click: Mark cell as empty (X)
3. Click: Delete cell content

Note that clicking on a numbered box marks it with an X. Clicking again removes this mark.

Keyboard Controls:

#, *, and Q Mark cell as black
-, / and W Mark cell as empty (X)

#, * and Q will also mark a numbered box with an X. The space bar removes this mark.
transkrautor

Post by transkrautor »

drsteve wrote:
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that you're more than welcome to help out. The more the merrier (and the less work for everybody!)

Just to clarify, I'm (amd presumably the rest of us) only using Google Translate as a start point. Their direct translations are sometimes harder to understand than the German version!
Thanks a lot, drsteve! I will start with sudoku and variants then. And everybody: please feel free to ask me if you have difficulties with a Google translation: I will be glad to help you understand the German side.

And I'll try to stick with cells, even though the term 'field' is very tempting when starting from the German 'Feld'. :)
transkrautor

Post by transkrautor »

Gebietssummen (Area sums) (example)

Instructions:
Enter digits as indicated into the diagram so that every digit occurs exactly once in every row and every column. The little numbers in the outlined areas show the sum of the digits inside the area.
Please note: One area may contain the same digit more than once.

Mouse Controls:
The first click places a 1 into the cell. Every additional click increments the digit. Clicking again after the maximum digit value has been reached clears the cell content.
A click in the lower right corner of the cell enables expert mode for this cell. In expert mode, you can toggle each digit separately. A second click in the lower right corner ends expert mode.

Keyboard Controls:
Digit keys: Enter the digit into the cell
Space: Delete cell contents
Minus key: Mark number ranges
In expert mode, you can toggle each digit with the number keys.
Last edited by transkrautor on Wed 13 Apr, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
transkrautor

Post by transkrautor »

Arukone (Arukone/Numberlink) (example)

Instructions:
Connect letter pairs along lines that connect cell centres horizontally or vertically. Cells may not be part of more connections.
Please note: Some cells may remain empty.

Mouse Controls:
The first click places an A into the cell. Every other click leads to the next letter. If you have already reached the last letter, another click empties the cell.
Alternatively you may drag a letter into a different cell by clicking it and keeping the mouse button down while moving the mouse into a different cell.

Keyboard Controls:
Letter keys: Enter a letter into a cell. If the puzzle contains more than 26 letters the letters will be case sensitive.

Anonymous lines:
Sometimes you may want to draw a line when you don't know yet which letter it will belong to. Just start dragging the mouse starting from an empty cell. With the keyboard you can use the number keys 1-9. Each of these keys draws a separate line. If two anonymous lines reach each other or an anonymous line reaches a letter line these lines are joined.
transkrautor

Post by transkrautor »

Buchstabensalat (Easy as ABC) (example)

Instructions:
Enter the specified letters into the diagram so that every letter occurs once in every row and every column. The letters at the edge indicate the first visible letter in that row or column when looking from that edge.

Mouse Controls:
The first click places the letter A in the cell. Every other click leads to the next letter. If you have already reached the last letter, another click will set a mark that indicates an empty cell. The next click inserts a circle into the cell. This indicates a non-empty cell. An additional click clears the cell content.
A click in the lower right corner of the cell starts the expert mode for this cell. In expert mode you can toggle each letter on and off. Another click in the lower right corner closes expert mode.

Keyboard Controls:
. or O: Mark as a non-empty cell (displayed as a circle)
Minus key: Mark as empty
#: toggle between the expert mode and normal mode.In expert mode you can toggle each letter on and off using the letter keys.
transkrautor

Post by transkrautor »

Dominosuche (Dominoes) (example)

Instructions:
Divide the puzzle diagram into the given dominoes. Every domino must be used exactly once.

Mouse Controls:
1. click: line
2. click: no line
3. click: Delete contents

Keyboard Controls:
#, *, and Q: line
-, /, and W: no line
Space: Delete contents
D: Insert a domino - the cursor marks the middle of the domino
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

ABCD-Rätsel (ABCD puzzle) (example)

Instructions:

Write one letter from the given range in every cell, so that no two horizontally or vertically adjacent cells contain the same letter.
The numbers given at the side and top of the grid indicate how many times each letter should appear in the respective row or column.
If any of the clue numbers are mising, it is up to you to deduce what value should be there.

This puzzle is sometimes published with an extra constraint - "Diagonal berühren verboten".
In this case, no two cells touching diagonally can contain the same letter.

When this extra condition is NOT in force, it will normally say "Diagonal berühren erlaubt".

Mouse Controls:
The first click enters the letter A in the cell. subsequent clicks display subsequent letters. After the last letter is reached, another click will delete the box contents.
A click in the lower right corner of the cell starts the expert mode for this cell only.
In expert mode, you can toggle each letter on and off one at a time.
Clicking again in the lower right corner closes expert mode.

Keyboard Controls:
In expert mode, you can individually toggle each letter with the letter keys
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

Japanische Summen (Japanese Sums) (example)

Instructions:

Blacken some cells in the diagram, and fill in the remaining cells with digits from the given range (indicated by 'Zahlen von 1 bis (max)').
The numbers beside and above the grid indicate, in the correct order, the sum of consecutive blocks of digits, appearing in unblackened cells, in the respective row or column. A block may be just one single digit.
No digit may appear more than once in each row or column.

To register a correct solution, every cell in the diagram must be blackened, or contain a digit.

Mouse Controls:
The first click draws a circle in the field. This indicates that this cell contains an unknown digit.
The next click blackens the cell.
Subsequent clicks display the digits in order from 1 to the maximum number,
Another click clears the cell contents.

A click in the lower right corner of the cell starts the expert mode
for this cell only. In expert mode, you can toggle each digit on and off one at a time.

Keyboard Controls:
Number keys: Enters the corresponding digit in the cell
. or O (letter): Indicates a numeric cell (represented by a circle)
X, B or S: blackens the cell
Minus button: Marking of ranges (eg '1-2')
In expert mode, you can individually toggle each digit with the number keys
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

Applet General Usage Instructions

For Überraschungsrätsel (Surprise Puzzle), when applet is selected:

In this puzzle, you are racing against the clock. Click on "Initialiseren" (Initialise) when you are ready.
The applet then performs some initialisation, so that you don't lose any time unnecessarily when you start.
Once the initialisation is complete, you can start the puzzle by clicking the "Starten" (Start) button.

Before initialising the applet you can stop safely, without incurring any penalty.
After initialising, the puzzle is registered as "not solved" until you have submitted a correct solution.

Before initializing, it is wise to look at the properties of the puzzle. These are displayed on top of this page, below the puzzle name. If the puzzle or the applet is new to you, you are advised to look at the instructions before you start. These are available (in German) by clicking on "Anleitung".
You can also use the cursor keys to select a button.

Applet Menu (accessed by clicking "Anleitung")

Aufgabe = Puzzle Instructions
Anleitung = Manual (Keyboard/Mouse controls for this puzzle)
Bedienung = Operation (of applet tools within the actual puzzle)
Zurück zum Rätsel = Back to the puzzle (menu)

Bedienung - Operation (of applet tools within the actual puzzle)

"Testen" (Test) (Ctrl-Enter): When you click on this button, the applet checks to see if your solution is correct. If the solution is correct, the puzzle flashes in different shades of blue. However, if the solution is incorrect, an error will be highlighted in the puzzle and you will see an error message.

"Rückgängig" (F3) (Undo/Go back): Reverts the puzzle to the last major change. You can also cancel the undo itself by clicking this button again.

"Anleitung" (F4) (Manual): Displays puzzle's instructions, and a guide to operating the applets.

"Farben wählen" (F5-F8) (Colour chooser): In the applet, there are four different colours to choose from. Marks made in one colour cannot be overwritten with another colour. Click on one of the coloured buttons to set the current colour.

"Färben" (Shift-F5 - Shift-F8) (Colouring): If you click on a "färben" button, any marks made in the current colour will be changed to that of the "färben" button you select.

"Löschen" (Ctrl-F5 - Ctrl-F8) (Delete): Remove all marks made in the chosen colour from the diagram.

Branching (Bifurcation) (Page up and Page Down): Click the plus sign to start a new branch to analyse from the current position. You can try out a solving route, and at any time return to the previous state by clicking on the minus sign. The branches can be nested up to nine levels deep.
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

Sudoku (Irregular Sudoku) (example)

Instructions:

Enter the numbers as indicated into the diagram so that in every row, every column and every outlined area, each number appears exactly once.

Mouse Controls:

The first click in a cell places a 1. Every other click leads to the next digit. If you have already reached the last digit, another click empties the cell.

A click in the lower right corner of the cell starts the expert mode for that cell. In expert mode, you can enter possible digits as you would in a pencil and paper puzzle. Another click in the lower right corner ended the expert mode.

Keyboard Controls:

Numeric keys: Enter the corresponding number in the cell
Minus button: Enables a range of values to be entered, e.g. 2-5. Typing again in that cell removes this.
#: Switch back and forth between the expert mode and normal mode.
In expert mode, you can enter numbers with the numeric keys and remove them by pressing that key again.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

Hashi (Hashi/Bridges) (example)

Instructions:

Connect the islands by building bridges so that each island is accessible from all others.
Bridges can only be built vertically or horizontally, and cannot pass over other bridges or islands.
There are at most two bridges between any two islands.
The numbers in the islands to indicate how many bridges are connected to this island.
For a valid solution, you need to ensure only that the bridges are all in place.

Mouse Controls:

Clicking between two islands:
1st click: One horizontal bridge; 2nd click: Two horizontal bridges
3rd click: One vertical bridge; 4th click: Two vertical bridges
5th click: delete field contents
Bridges which cannot be built will be skipped

Clicking on islands toggles an X marker on the island.

Keyboard Controls:
Between Islands:
W: Inserts one horizontal bridge; Shift-W or e: Inserts two horizontal bridges.
S: Inserts one vertical bridge; Shift-S or d: Inserts two vertical bridges.
If a bridge already exist, a second bridge is added or removed.

On Islands:
#, * And Q: Mark island with an X.
Space: clears island marker
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

Kropki (example)

Instructions:

Enter the numbers as indicated by the diagram (eg 'von 1 bis <max>' = 'from 1 to <max>'), so that each number appears exactly once in each row and each column.
A black dot between two cells indicates that the number in one cell is twice the other.
A white dot indicates that there is a difference of one between the numbers in these cells.
All possible dots are given. Either type of dot could appear between a 1 and a 2.

Mouse Controls:
The first click enters the digit 1 in that cell. Subsequent clicks display subsequent numbers.
After the maximum digit is reached, another click will delete the box contents.
A click in the lower right corner of the cell starts the expert mode for this cell only. In expert mode, you can toggle each digit on and off one at a time.

Keyboard Controls:
Number keys: Enters the relevant digit in the highlighted cell
In expert mode, you can individually toggle each digit with the number keys
sknight

Post by sknight »

Masyu (example)

Instructions: Draw a single loop, traveling horizontally and vertically, connecting the centers of the cells. The loop must pass through every cell containing a circle ("pearl"). At each cell containing a black pearl, the loop must make a 90-degree turn, and must travel straight for at least two squares on either side of the pearl. At each cell containing a white pearl, the loop must pass straight through the pearl, and must make a 90-degree turn in at least one of the cells immediately before or after the pearl.

Mouse Controls: (from 30 May 2011)
With the mouse button pressed, drag between adjacent cells to draw lines.

Clicking on a cell border once draws a line across that border. Clicking again draws an X to indicate that there cannot be a line across that border. Clicking a third time will erase any marks on that border.
Alternatively, you may drag the mouse between cells to draw a line continuously.

Keyboard controls: (from 30 May 2011)
Move the cursor while holding the SHIFT key to draw a line between adjacent cells.
Repeat the process over a drawn line to replace it with a cross, and repeat this process again to clear all marks between the 2 cells.

#, *, and Q keys draw a line on the highlighted border.
/ and W keys draw an X on the highlighted border.
Spacebar clears the highlighted border.
Escape toggles between a horizontal and vertical cursor.
transkrautor

Post by transkrautor »

Fillomino (example)

Instructions:
Divide the diagram into areas and write a number into every cell. All numbers within an area must be the same, and they must indicate the size of the area. Areas that have the same size may not share an edge, but they may touch at a corner.
Numbers that are given at the start may belong to the same area, and there may also be areas that are bigger than any given number.
This applet does not handle numbers that are greater than 9. For a correct solution all cells must contain a number.

Mouse Controls:
The first click enters a 1 into the cell. Every additional click increments the number until 9 is reached. Clicking on a cell that contains 9 clears the cell content.

Keyboard Controls:
Number keys: Enter the number into the cell
transkrautor

Post by transkrautor »

Heyawake (example)

Instructions:
Blacken some cells in the diagram so that no two black cells have a common edge and all white cells are connected (i.e. the black cells may not divide the puzzle into two or more parts). No horizontal or vertical sequence of white cells may span more than two outlined areas. Numbers inside outlined areas indicate the number of black cells in that area. Cells with numbers may be blackened.
For a correct solution only black cells are relevant.

Mouse Controls:
1st click: Black cell
2nd click: White cell (marked by a cross)
3rd click: Delete cell contents

Keyboard Controls:
#, *, and Q: Black cell
-, /, and W: White cell (marked by a cross)
Last edited by transkrautor on Thu 14 Apr, 2011 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.