Greetings all

If this is your first visit, please introduce yourself and read the forum rules
ajmoore

Greetings all

Post by ajmoore » Fri 14 Sep, 2012 10:46 am

This is all a bit sudden. Based on a marginal improvement in my annual foray into the USPC (time freedom this year has meant it's the first time I've not had to abandon after two hours to go somewhere), Alan contacted me to make up the B-team numbers in Croatia. My boss has agreed to let me go (and sponsor the cost - that's the bit I can't quite believe), so chocks away.
The site is new to me, so I'll be combing the archives for practice puzzles and tips so as not to embarrass the team and myself.
I'm a graphic designer / artworker in real time, with a bit of maths tuting thrown in to pick up some extra cash.
Anyone here who crosses over into the thematic crossword community may know me from the Listener and Magpie by my alter ego of Mash.
Regards
AJ

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Re: Greetings all

Post by PuzzleScot » Fri 14 Sep, 2012 11:41 am

Welcome AJ, and good luck with the WPC.

Another Listener/Magpie veteran?! Interesting...

sknight

Post by sknight » Fri 14 Sep, 2012 12:26 pm

Welcome!
Besides the USPC, I don't know how many other online tests and so forth you've been doing. I find in general, though, that if you are looking for good free online practice, the archive of contests over at Logicmasters India is a good resource. Another good thing to check is the various blogs of good puzzle creators (including but not limited to motris, mellowmellon, mathgrant, para, detuned, Serkan Yurekli etc.). All of these have the advantage of being free, hand-constructed, and generally high quality. If there's a specific type of puzzle you are interested in and having a hard time finding, post something on the forums here, and probably somebody can help you.

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Fri 14 Sep, 2012 4:08 pm

Wow AJ. Great to have you on board. I hadn't spotted your name on the USPC results list. Very envious of your sponsorship. Your boss is certainly enlightened. I hope you enjoy the WPC experience. Sorry I won't be there with you. And please share any graphic design ideas with us. Your work on the Magpie was stunning.