Neil

If this is your first visit, please introduce yourself and read the forum rules
Nilz

Neil

Post by Nilz » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi all,

I'm Neil Zussman, long time puzzle fan, as I'm sure everyone else here is. I had recently become aware of this website and was planning to register anyway, a recent email I received from Alan O'Donnell has given me the impetus I needed.

A few years ago I bought a book of puzzles from the WSC, and since then I've wondered how the UK team is chosen, both for that and for the WPC- partly just out of interest, but mostly because I wanted to try to qualify myself! So I've been searching at irregular intervals, and discovered this website a few months ago. I imagine the information has always been available somewhere, but I think last time I checked the website of the World Puzzle Federation (admittedly a while ago), there was no link to a UK website. In any event, it's great that this website exists and seems to be steadily growing.

Anyway, now I'm aware of the qualification procedures, I'll do my best to make one of next year's teams! I never seem to be available when one of the qualification events takes place, and I don't own a printer (which I'm sure must be a massive disadvantage, though I'm biased of course). But I'll keep trying, and if I don't succeed, at least I've got my excuses in early!

dickoon

Re: Neil

Post by dickoon » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 8:41 pm

Welcome, Neil; heckuva way to make a debut!

I was solving most of the ratings system qualification tests without a printer, mostly copying the puzzles down onto graph paper. The less there was to copy down before starting to work on the puzzle, the better this worked. Puzzles on non-square grids were harder; I ended up printing a load of triangular graph paper at a library. In the end, when another family member had lots of important documents to print out at inconvenient times, I splashed out £25 on a printer from a supermarket. You get what you pay for, and I get delays of 30 seconds between pressing "print" and seeing any printing, and I get all the printouts falling on the floor because there's nothing to collect them. Nevertheless, the quality is easily good enough.

There are lots of sites with puzzles that you can solve without printing things out: janko.at, puzzlepicnic.com, nikoli.com, croco-puzzle.de, loads of others. In terms of competitions that you can solve without a printer, most of the puzzlefountain.com contests can be solved purely online using the applets (though not the first one when they return in mid-September) and some of the Logic Masters India ones (though not the Sprint Test this weekend).