Hello from a long-time enthusiast!

If this is your first visit, please introduce yourself and read the forum rules
Feadoor

Hello from a long-time enthusiast!

Post by Feadoor » Fri 25 May, 2018 12:07 am

Well, hello there! My name is Sam, and I've been solving Sudoku in one form or another since I, like many, found one in a newspaper in 2005 and got hooked. I'm a total stereotype - a geeky computer programmer with a maths degree who loves Sudoku - so feel free to blame me and my ilk for some of the various misconceptions that are generally held about puzzlers!

I stumbled upon this website a couple of years ago, but have been putting off registering an account or taking part in any competitions since having done so. It didn't help that the timing of them has, until now, been astonishingly unlucky for me. This year I've finally resolved to compete in the UK Sudoku Championship - hopefully the first of many for me.

I do enjoy logic puzzles more generally, but I'm comparatively poor at them relative to Sudoku and its friends which, really, is where my actual passion lies.

I do hope I'll settle in here, now that I've taken my first steps over the threshold. I may even stump up the cash to come and meet you all in person at the Open next year - who knows?

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Re: Hello from a long-time enthusiast!

Post by PuzzleScot » Fri 25 May, 2018 9:36 am

Sam,

A very warm welcome to you :)

Nice to see a lurker step out of the shadows. I'm sure there are more there, that will hopefully follow your 'brave' step.
There are a huge number of sudoku (and logic puzzle) competitions running all the time, for you to enjoy and, if you wish, hone your competitive skills.

I wish you the very best of luck in the UKSC!

Alan

PS. Competitions used to run Sat/Sun only, however we found that with holidays and weekend plans, many were unable to participate. Therefore, by including Friday pm, and all of Monday, very few people were unavailable for the entire period.
It is entirely possible (as I've done myself) to take part from a sun lounger by the pool on a Mediterranean island... :roll:

Feadoor

Post by Feadoor » Sat 26 May, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks for your welcome, Alan! I'm very glad to hear that there are plenty of competitions happening all the time. Are details of them often posted in this forum, or is there a handy list of places to look?

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 28 May, 2018 1:15 am

is there a handy list of places to look
We do try to list competitions as they are happening, but there are so many, and lots are regular events...

Better to bookmark the regular hosts - Germany (LMD), India (LMI), WPF (Grands Prix) and many others, and schedule your own rota. Look in the 'Puzzle competition' forum for lots of useful links

However, if that's too overwhelming, Otto Janko maintains a fairly comprehensive list here.

Feadoor

Post by Feadoor » Mon 28 May, 2018 1:39 am

Excellent resources - thank you! I can see that there's a whole world out there to be discovered...