Account Deletion?

If this is your first visit, please introduce yourself and read the forum rules

Account Deletion?

Postby Plucky » Sat 05 Dec, 2015 2:12 am

Can whoever is deleting my account please stop it? This is the third time I've had to register to this site now, not very newbie-friendly...
Plucky

Re: Account Deletion?

Postby PuzzleScot » Sat 05 Dec, 2015 2:52 am

This, like many other self-registration forums, is subject to a constant barrage of spam registrations. (c.100/day on here).
I cannot investigate every registration attempt, so have to be fairly ruthless I'm afraid. Believe it or not, I lean on the side of leniency.

However, in your specific case, you have an extremely spam-like email address (ending with 3 random digits @gmail.com), you did not give your real name at registration, nor any indication of your name in your chosen username, and your IP did not appear to match the country you claim to be resident in. I'm sorry, but anyone being that vague is rarely genuine.

That said, please accept my apologies, and welcome, anonymous person, to the world of puzzling :)
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Postby Plucky » Sat 05 Dec, 2015 3:07 am

Sure, thank you :) . I'm from the UK - not sure why my IP would indicate otherwise, that's odd. But yes, I usually prefer to stay anonymous online just for safety/security. Maybe it's worth putting in a captcha on the registration form rather than the "change this to no if you're not a bot" thing, if there are still a large number of spam registrations?
Plucky

Postby berni » Sat 05 Dec, 2015 6:51 am

In the german forum, we had this problem with spammers too. Captchas didn't work, as the bots were able to read them. So we asked the user to ignore the captcha and type a given word instead. That worked great. An alternative would be to give a 4x4-sudoku and ask the person to solve it and enter the digits of the first row. I guess, the spam bots don't know about sudoku. ;)
berni

Postby PuzzleScot » Sat 05 Dec, 2015 1:44 pm

The bots simply are not getting through any more. The 'not a bot' button (plus a couple of other background checks) is surprisingly effective.
The ones that do get through (1 or 2 per day at most) are done by real people, I believe. IP location checks usually flag these easily enough.
In the past week, I've deleted posts that refer to new kitchens and fifa coins. It's not too big a deal now.

But yeah, a simple puzzle or sudoku would be ideal, but really not worth the effort at the moment. Thanks both.

The next step I would most likely implement is the api referred to here: https://www.stopforumspam.com/usage
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Return to Welcome!